When parents are anticipating the birth of a healthy baby, but their baby is delivered unhealthy or injured they are often left wondering “How did this happen?”
The natural contractions and contortions that come with childbirth can be hard on a small infant, and the potential for a birth injury is always there. However, in some circumstances, it is revealed that improper care (negligence) provided by a doctor, midwife, or nurse during labor and delivery was the likely cause of the birth injury.
Factors that may contribute to a birth injury:
- Improper care (negligence) provided by a doctor, midwife, or nurse during the prenatal course or labor and delivery.
- Lack of sufficient oxygen to the baby’s brain during labor and delivery.
- Baby’s shoulders are stuck behind the mother’s pubic bone during labor and delivery and the proper delivery techniques are not used to free the shoulder and facilitate delivery of the infant.
- Babies with a high birth weight may be too large for vaginal birth. Attempting vaginal delivery with a larger baby can lead to birth injuries.
- Large fetal head that could delay or prolong delivery.
- Baby presents in a position other than headfirst during delivery.
- Improper use of delivery instruments such as forceps and vacuum to assist in the vaginal delivery of an infant. Injuries can include facial nerve damage with resulting facial paralysis, bleeding into the brain, or skull fracture.
- Exposure to certain dangerous workplace chemicals may cause serious birth defects suffered by a developing fetus in a mother’s womb.
- Some prescription drugs, such as SSRI’s, or other medications taken by the mother before or during pregnancy.
If you believe your child has a birth injury that may have been caused by negligent medical care, one of our birth injury lawyers may be able to help. We have over 30 years of experience representing families like yours in birth injury cases resulting from substandard care. Our team of registered nurses will listen to your concerns and help get your questions answered.