Ready to Help Whenever You Need Us
We know who to talk to, where to find answers, and what steps you need to take. Let us put our 30 years of experience to work for you.
Parkinson’s Drug Requip Linked to Gambling Addiction
Use of the anti-Parkinson’s Disease drug Requip has been linked to the development of severe impulse control disorders, including compulsive or addictive gambling.
Requip belongs to a class of prescription drugs called dopamine agonists which work by acting in place of dopamine, a natural chemical substance in the brain that is needed to control movement. These drugs are commonly used to treat and control the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, such as muscle spasms, stiffness, tremors and poor muscle control by restoring the level of dopamine in those areas of the brain affected by the disease. Requip is also often prescribed to treat Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS), a condition that causes discomfort in the legs, coupled with a strong urge to move the legs. Symptoms of RLS are typically experienced at night or when sitting or lying down.
Signs and Symptoms of Compulsive Gambling
Compulsive or pathological gambling involves excessive gambling despite significant monetary losses. In severe cases, it can result in legal problems, financial ruin, or suicide.
According to the American Psychiatric Association, symptoms of pathological gambling may include the following:
- A preoccupation with gambling: Spending a lot of time thinking about gambling, such as past experiences or ways to get more money with which to gamble
- Committing crimes (i.e. forgery, fraud, theft, embezzlement) as a means to obtain money to gamble
- Needing to gamble larger amounts of money in order to feel excitement
- Feeling restless or irritable when trying to cut back or quit gambling
- Gambling to escape problems or feelings of sadness or anxiety
- Gambling larger amounts of money to try to make back previous losses
- Having had many unsuccessful attempts to cut back or quit gambling
- Losing a job, relationship, educational or career opportunity due to gambling
- Lying about the amount of time or money spent gambling
- Needing to borrow money to get by due to gambling losses
If you or your loved one has suffered a Requip injury, contact us today. Submit the form to the right and we’ll let you know if you have a case and if we can represent you.