Our experienced mesothelioma lawyers can fight to get you and your family the compensation you deserve.
Filing a Mesothelioma Lawsuit: What to Expect
Once you have made the decision to pursue legal action with your mesothelioma lawyer, the legal process begins. As in many legal cases, detailed preparations are necessary and may take time. The thought of filing a claim and going through the court system may seem overwhelming. But don’t panic. An experienced mesothelioma attorney will guide you through each step of the process and will work to minimize potential disruption to your life. Each person’s claim is different, but the general steps involved in filing a claim include:
- Gather Case Details – You can begin this phase by contacting Sokolove Law and providing preliminary information about your potential case.
- File a Complaint – The attorneys draft and file a legal complaint against the product manufacturer(s). Once filed, the court will typically issue a schedule for the case.
- Prosecute the Case – During this phase, attorneys obtain the evidence needed to try the case.
- Settlements – Sometimes cases are resolved prior to trial. Defendants may seek to settle (resolve) a case or a group of cases rather than go to trial.
- Try the Case – If a settlement is not reached, the case will continue to the trial phase. During the trial, both sides present the testimony and evidence they gathered. At the conclusion of the trial, a jury will decide the outcome of the case.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Mesothelioma Lawsuits
Q. How long might my case take? A. It’s crucial for you to act quickly. While some courts recognize the burdens that mesothelioma places on families and try to expedite trial dates, not all do. The sooner you decide to move forward with your case, the sooner you and your family can achieve peace of mind. You should also know that some states have laws that set time limits on when you are able to file a claim.
Q. This must be expensive. How will I pay for you to represent me?
A. There is no cost for us to represent you and your family in a mesothelioma lawsuit. Sokolove Law only gets paid if you receive money from your case. Likewise, should you choose one of our legal teams to represent you, we will travel to you to minimize any expense and disruption to you and your family.
Q. Will I have to testify at trial? A. Our mesothelioma attorneys prepare each case to go to a trial. But, some mesothelioma cases settle out of court, which means there is no trial. If your case does go to trial, our mesothelioma lawyers are trained to make this process as easy as possible.
Our staff of experienced mesothelioma paralegals is here to give you as much attention and comfort as you need through the litigation process of a mesothelioma lawsuit. Don’t wait — request a free consultation today.