Ready to Help Whenever You Need Us
We know who to talk to, where to find answers, and what steps you need to take. Let us put our 30 years of experience to work for you.
Denture adhesive cream linked to zinc poisoning
Chronic and excessive use of denture adhesive creams such as Fixodent, PoliGrip and Super PoliGrip have been linked to a condition called hyperzincuria or zinc poisoning which can lead to more serious and permanently disabling injuries including copper depletion (hypocupremia), nerve damage and even death.
Denture adhesive cream is an over-the-counter product that is applied to dentures prior to insertion to help hold them in place. Most denture adhesives contain the trace mineral zinc. Small amounts of zinc are necessary for a healthy and balanced diet but can be toxic if ingested in large amounts. Many denture wearers, particularly those with loose or poorly fitting dentures, may use excessive amounts of denture adhesive to hold dentures in place, causing them to ingest abnormally high levels of zinc daily. A proper balance of zinc and copper in the body is essential for neurological health. However, ingesting excessive amounts of one of these metals can cause a depletion of the other, which can lead to serious neurological problems.
Signs and Symptoms of Neuropathy
Chronic and excessive use of zinc-containing denture adhesives has been linked to permanently disabling and life-threatening injuries including:
- Hyperzincuria or Zinc Poisoning (abnormally high levels of zinc in the blood)
- Hypocupremia or Copper Depletion (abnormally low levels of copper in the blood)
- Neuropathy (nerve damage)
Signs and Symptoms of Neuropathy include:
- Loss of sensation, numbness or tingling in the extremities
- Unexplained weakness or pain in the extremities
- Loss of ability to move legs, feet, arms, or hands
- Poor balance and coordination, decrease in walking stride
- Abnormal blood pressure and heart rate
- Reduced ability to perspire, constipation and bladder dysfunction (urinary incontinence)
- Loss of cognitive function
If you or someone you love has been injured, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact us today for a free legal consultation.