A former handyman is warning the public about the presence of asbestos at a campus where he worked. This asbestos may have already caused a lecturer’s death.
As this blog reported, Cynthia Clarke was a lecturer at United Kingdom-based Preston College; she died of mesothelioma cancer in 2010. Mesothelioma is an incurable cancer caused by asbestos exposure. Clarke believed that her exposure came from asbestos-containing ceiling tiles.
Now a former Preston College handyman is bolstering her story. Ron Entwistle, 78, was spurred into action after recently reading about Clarke. Entwistle, who knew Clarke, fears that thousands of others may have been exposed to asbestos during an information technology system implementation decades ago.
In the late 1980s computers were being installed and the service routes went through ceiling voids. There were times that we had to take the asbestos boards out, and at that time I didn’t realize they were dangerous, he told the Post.
I had to go into the ceiling space regularly to connect up the florescent lighting which involved screwing the asbestos boards and asbestos fibers were released then, continued Entwistle. Asbestos fibers were released when asbestos-impregnated boards were polished, and when asbestos-lined fire doors were removed and cut up in college corridors.
The Post reports that Entwistle had prepared a witness statement in Clarke’s legal action against the Lancashire County Council. However, the case was settled out of court following her death.
Asbestos exposure is frequent in construction or manufacturing, or in the shipbuilding and aerospace industries. It’s less common to hear about it in the so-called white collar world of academia. Clarke’s story underscores the dangers that asbestos can pose to anyone who comes into contact with it.
If you or a loved one has developed mesothelioma or another asbestos-related condition as a result of exposure to asbestos, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact Sokolove Law today for a free asbestos lawsuit consultation.