A Massachusetts man is being sued by the office of state Attorney General Martha Coakley for violating the Massachusetts Clean Air Act by improperly removing asbestos materials from three homes he was renovating.
Ronald Oliviera and his contractors allegedly managed the renovations of three different multi-family homes between September 2009 and April 2011, two of which he owned. During the renovations, asbestos shingles that had to be removed properly as a safety precaution were instead improperly handled. At one site, Oliveira’s contractors allegedly began cleaning the shingles with a high pressure power washer, breaking them apart and potentially releasing asbestos materials into the air and ground.
At another renovation site, Oliveira allegedly told contractors to cover the asbestos shingles with new vinyl siding and drill through shingles to install heating vents, which also released asbestos fibers into the air as a result.
For renovations at the third renovation, contractors recklessly tossed asbestos shingles to the ground from the third floor of the building while installing vinyl siding and stripping wooden molding from the exterior.
The scattering of asbestos debris in a residential neighborhood presents an unacceptable public health hazard to residents and workers, said Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Kenneth Kimmell. Contractors who do not remove and dispose of asbestos properly will face enforcement and significant penalties.
The lawsuit against Oliveira claims he did not follow proper procedures and safety precautions when removing materials containing asbestos from those three multi-family homes. It seeks civil penalties up to $25,000 per day for each violation of the Massachusetts Clean Air Act.
If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos that has led to the development of mesothelioma, there may be legal options at your disposal. Call Sokolove Law today for a free legal consultation regarding a mesothelioma lawsuit.