A fire-damaged apartment building in Seattle now undergoing repair may be putting residents at risk of asbestos exposure, according to one resident who hired an independent contractor to check the air in his apartment.
According to local news site King5.com, a two-alarm fire tore through the building on the 1100 block of South Massachusetts Street in July. Since then, some residents have been returning to their apartments. However, the recent repair work has turned up asbestos inside the fire-damaged units.
Resident Paul Larson had his unit tested by an independent contractor who found airborne asbestos, and he believes that his unit is not the only one. Larson believes that the apartment managers are ignoring laws designed to protect residents in these situations from asbestos exposure, according to King5.com.
The contractor tasked with the building’s fire cleanup insists that any asbestos is confined to areas that have been sealed off for protection, and that all residents have been notified about the presence of the materials. However, none of the residents King5.com spoke with knew about the potential asbestos exposure problem in their building.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral with excellent fireproofing and insulation properties. Until the 1970s, it was widely used in construction materials such a roof felt, mastics, floor tiles, and pipe insulation.
Health concerns around asbestos exposure led to the banning of certain uses while some others were voluntarily phased out. However, asbestos is not banned in the U.S. Asbestos exposure is linked to serious diseases such as mesothelioma, a rare and incurable cancer.
If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos and diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be eligible for financial compensation. Call Sokolove Law today for a free case evaluation.