Secondhand Asbestos Exposure Kills Grandmother

by Sokolove Law

The 78-year-old Valerie Ward developed mesothelioma lung cancer and died just 10 weeks after her diagnosis. The cause, according to a recent official ruling: industrial disease, caused by asbestos exposure.

Ward, a U.K. mother and grandmother, breathed in asbestos fibers daily for 20 years. But she didn’t work in construction or the military, where asbestos exposure is common. She was exposed to the fibers when she shook out her husband’s and son’s overalls to wash them, according to a recent article in the U.K.-based Daily Mail.

“Mum died probably 10 years before she should have,” said Avril Ward, Valerie’s daughter. Valerie received a modest mesothelioma settlement, which the Wards donated to the cancer hospice where she died.

Valerie Ward’s husband labored at the Aberthaw Power Station, near Cardiff, Wales. “My dad worked at the power station for 20 odd years and was a fitter’s mate before he became a painter there,” said Avril Ward. “Mum always washed his overalls after work. She wasn’t aware of the dangers of the dust and fibers on them.”

Valerie’s husband, Eric Ward, is currently being treated for asbestos-caused pleural plaques. According to Avril Ward, his wife’s death has devastated him. “He lost a lot of colleagues and friends to mesothelioma,” said Avril Ward. “Not a lot was known about it then and very little protection was offered at that time.”

This case underscores the dangers of secondhand asbestos exposure. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer, or any other asbestos-related condition, you may be entitled to financial compensation. To learn more about your legal options, please contact us for a free case evaluation.

Recommended Reading: