Teacher Death May Have Been Caused By Loose Asbestos

by Sokolove Law

The recent death of a teacher who worked in a University of Calgary building with a history of asbestos is yet another reminder of the dangers that the deadly fibers pose.

According to the CBC, Ameila Labbe was the head of the Spanish center inside Craigie Hall at the university during renovations to the building that occurred in 2003. The renovations caused an outcry among workers in the building because of dust that escaped from work areas and led to poor air quality.

“Ceiling tiles and accumulated dust from the ceiling space had spilled into the work area and had basically resulted in air quality in which those of us who were within the entire wing could not breathe,” said Rachel Schmidt, the head of the French, Italian, and Spanish departments at the time.

As for Labbe, she was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis – a lung illnesss – that eventually took her lige last November. Her husband told the CBC that she had been wary of the loose dust from the 2003 renovation that may have contained dangerous asbestos fibers.

If you or a loved one has been exposed to loose asbestos fibers and now suffer from mesothelioma, there may be legal options at your disposal. Contact Sokolove Law today to learn more about pursuing a mesothelioma settlement.

Recommended Reading: