Our experienced mesothelioma lawyers can fight to get you and your family the compensation you deserve.
Filing a Mesothelioma Lawsuit: What to Expect
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may be thinking about pursuing legal action. Ready to get started? Here are the 3 things you need to do before filing a claim:
- Call Sokolove Law, Toll-Free – A Sokolove Law paralegal will gather basic information to help determine if your claim can be investigated.
- A Sokolove Law Team Member Will Visit You – If it is determined that your claim can be investigated, a member of our asbestos team will come directly to your home — at your convenience — to guide you through the review and signing of important documents.
- You’ll Meet Your Dedicated Team – Once your paperwork is complete, your case will be assigned to a team of mesothelioma lawyers, paralegals, and support staff who will be able to answer additional questions you may have.
As in many legal cases, detailed preparations are necessary and may take time. The thought of filing a claim and going through the court system may seem overwhelming —but don’t panic. An experienced mesothelioma attorney will guide you through each step of the process and will work to minimize potential disruption to your life. Each person’s claim is different, but the general steps involved in filing a claim include:
- File a Complaint – The attorneys draft and file a legal complaint against the asbestos product manufacturer(s). Once filed, the court will typically issue a schedule for the case.
- Discovery – During this phase, attorneys obtain the evidence needed to try the case.
- Settlements – Sometimes cases are resolved prior to trial. Defendants may seek to settle (resolve) a case or a group of cases rather than go to trial.
- Try the Case – If a settlement is not reached, the case will continue to the trial phase. During the trial, both sides present the testimony and evidence they have gathered. At the conclusion of the trial, a jury will decide the outcome of the case.
We’re Here to Help from Beginning to End
Once your claim is filed, your Sokolove Law team will be there to assist you through the rest of the process.
If Your Asbestos Claim Is Resolved
If we resolve your asbestos claim, we’ll inform you about the compensation being offered and will only sign off on it after you have explicitly agreed to the terms.
If Your Asbestos Claim Goes to Court
Asbestos claims are prepared as if they are going to trial, but most settle out of court. If your claim goes to trial, Sokolove Law will help to make the process easier for you and your family.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Mesothelioma Lawsuits
Q. How long might my case take?
It’s crucial for you to act quickly. While some courts recognize the burdens that mesothelioma places on families and try to expedite trial dates, not all do. The sooner you decide to move forward with your case, the sooner you and your family can achieve peace of mind. In addition, strict limits guide the amount of time you have to file a claim. Different states have different laws. If time runs out, you will not be able to file a claim, ever.
Q. This must be expensive. How will I pay for you to represent me?
There is no cost for us to represent you and your family in a mesothelioma lawsuit. Sokolove Law only gets paid if you receive money from your case. Likewise, should you choose one of our legal teams to represent you, we will travel to you to minimize any expense and disruption to you and your family.
Q. Will I have to testify at trial?
Our mesothelioma attorneys prepare each case to go to a trial. But, some mesothelioma cases settle out of court, which means there is no trial. If your case does go to trial, our mesothelioma lawyers are trained to make this process as easy as possible.
Q. What if I was self-employed?
You have rights too. Since mesothelioma claims are placed against the manufacturers of asbestos-containing products anyone who was exposed to asbestos from these products and later developed an asbestos-related disease may qualify for compensation. If you owned your own business, worked for a small company, or a large corporation, call today to see if you qualify.
Start the Asbestos Claim Process Today
Our staff of experienced mesothelioma paralegals is here to give you as much attention and comfort as you need through the litigation process of a mesothelioma lawsuit. Don’t wait — request a free, legal consultation right now.