Bowel Cleansing Oral Preparations, Like Oral Sodium Phosphate, Have Been Linked to Serious Kidney Injuries and Failure.
Oral Sodium Phosphate Products
Products used for bowel cleansing that contain sodium phosphate, such as Fleet Phospho-soda and Fleet ACCU-PREP have been associated with acute phosphate nephropathy, a type of acute kidney failure. Available over-the-counter, these oral sodium phosphate (OSP) products are commonly used for bowel cleansing prior to colonoscopy, radiographic procedures, and surgery.
Oral Sodium Phosphate Side Effects
Reports to the FDA, have indicated that patients have suffered from the following side effects:
- Acute phosphate nephropathy- acute kidney failure
- Severe electrolyte abnormalities
- Cardiac arrhythmias
Oral Sodium Phosphate Risk Indicators
The renal impairment suffered by patients is often permanent and may require chronic dialysis. Patients at highest risk for developing kidney failure after using OSP products may be those with the following conditions:
- Decreased intravascular volume – due to congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, or nephritic syndrome
- Acute or chronic kidney disease
- Advanced age
- Taking medications that affect renal perfusion or renal function, such as diuretics, ACE inhibitors, Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs), and Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)