Common Birth Injuries in New Hampshire
A birth injury is any type of harm or injury that a child suffers right before, during, or after they are born — typically during the labor and delivery process.
Birth injuries are often the result of preventable medical errors caused by a health care professional. This is known as medical malpractice.
Common birth injuries in New Hampshire include:
- Bleeding in the brain
- Brachial plexus injury
- Brain damage or swelling
- Cephalohematoma (accumulation of blood above the skull but under the scalp)
- Cerebral palsy (CP)
- Erb’s palsy
- Facial nerve injury or paralysis
- Fetal distress or lack of oxygen in the brain
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy or HIE (when the baby’s brain doesn’t receive enough oxygen or blood flow)
- Injuries from forceps or vacuum extraction
- Intracranial hemorrhages
- Jaundice and kernicterus (when bilirubin collects in the brain due to untreated jaundice)
- Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC)
- Nerve damage
- Shoulder dystocia (when one or both of the baby’s shoulders get stuck in the mother’s pelvis during delivery)
- Skull fractures or bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Stillbirths and death
- Umbilical cord strangulation
While some birth injuries may heal completely, others may call for lifelong medical care.
If you believe your child’s birth injury was caused by medical malpractice, a New Hampshire birth injury lawyer may be able to help you hold negligent health care providers accountable for the harm they caused.
Contact Sokolove Law today to learn more about the options available to you.
How Does Malpractice Cause Birth Injuries?
Birth injuries can often be avoided with proper medical care — but if a medical professional makes a careless mistake during the birthing process, the baby and their family suffer as a result.
Common medical mistakes that may lead to birth injuries include:
- Excessive force during delivery
- Failure to properly assess risk factors beforehand
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors
- Misdiagnosis or failure to recognize a serious medical condition
Sokolove Law has nurses on staff who can help you understand your child’s injury and if malpractice or negligence may be to blame. Call (800) 995-1212 now to learn more.
How to File a Birth Injury Lawsuit in New Hampshire
Compensation from a birth injury lawsuit can help cover the cost of your child’s treatments and improve their overall quality of life.
If you have a case, our New Hampshire birth injury lawyers will handle every step of the legal process for you, so you can focus on your child’s well-being.
1. Contact Sokolove Law
Reach out to Sokolove Law and receive a free case review to determine if you may be eligible to file a New Hampshire birth injury claim.
During this time, we’ll ask you a few questions about your child’s injury, so we can better understand the specifics of your situation.
2. We’ll Gather Evidence of Malpractice
If you have a case, we’ll collect medical records, testimonials from experts, test results, and anything else needed to show that your child’s birth injury was preventable.
We also have a team of registered nurses on staff that can help make sense of what may have happened to your child.
3. We’ll File Your New Hampshire Birth Injury Claim
Your New Hampshire birth injury lawsuit must be filed within the statute of limitations, which are a set of laws limiting how long you have to file a claim.
Once these deadlines pass, you won’t be able to file a claim or pursue compensation for your child’s injury ever again.
Contact Sokolove Law as soon as possible in order to ensure that your claim is filed on time.
4. We’ll Negotiate Birth Injury Settlements on Your Behalf
Our attorneys will negotiate a New Hampshire birth injury settlement with the defendant(s), which would be the hospital or medical professionals responsible for your child’s birth injury.
The majority of cases end in a settlement, which means you may not have to step foot in court.
If a settlement is unable to be reached, our birth injury lawyers are prepared to present your case in a trial and fight for a verdict on your behalf.
Our Past New Hampshire Birth Injury Settlements
At Sokolove Law, we’ve recovered over $862 Million for birth injury victims, including children and families in New Hampshire.
Some of our past New Hampshire birth injury settlements and verdicts include:
- $4.75 Million for a child in Concord who suffered a brain injury after a prolonged delivery
- $3.35 Million for a child with cerebral palsy in Plaistow
- $1.75 Million for a New Hampshire child with CP
- $1.65 Million for a mother whose daughter suffered a birth injury
- $1.4 Million for a child whose doctors failed to notice signs of fetal distress
While New Hampshire birth injury settlement amounts depend on various factors — like the severity of the injury and the cost of the child's care — our attorneys will fight for the most compensation possible in your case.
Receiving compensation from a birth injury lawsuit in New Hampshire can help to lessen the burden of ongoing medical treatments and other costs related to your child’s injury.
Let Our New Hampshire Birth Injury Attorneys Fight for You
As a national birth injury law firm with decades of experience, Sokolove Law has the resources and experience necessary to help you seek justice for your child’s injury.
Our birth injury lawyers in New Hampshire are compassionate, knowledgeable, and committed to providing you with the personal attention your case deserves.
We'll take the time to understand the specific circumstances of your child’s injury and do everything we can to provide support throughout the legal process and after.
Let us fight for compensation on your behalf, so you can focus on your family’s health and well-being. Call (800) 995-1212 or fill out our contact form today for a free case review.
Birth Injuries Lawyer in New Hampshire FAQs
How are birth injuries in New Hampshire caused by medical malpractice?
There are many different causes of birth injuries, but many are unfortunately a result of preventable medical errors.
Common medical mistakes that can result in birth injuries include not:
- Correctly using medical instruments such as forceps or vacuum extractors during delivery
- Interpreting X-rays correctly
- Performing a necessary C-section
- Properly monitoring the baby during labor and delivery
- Responding to signs of fetal distress
Sokolove Law has nurses on staff who can help you understand your child’s injury and if it may have occurred as a result of malpractice.
Who can file a New Hampshire birth injury lawsuit?
You may be able to file a New Hampshire birth injury lawsuit if:
- Your child suffered an injury before, during, or shortly after being born
- Their injury was the result of a preventable medical error
See if you have a case now for free by filling out our contact form or calling (800) 995-1212.
How much does a New Hampshire birth injury lawyer charge?
At Sokolove Law, there are no hourly fees or out-of-pocket costs to work with our New Hampshire birth injury attorneys.
We work on a contingency-fee basis, which means we only get paid if your case results in compensation.
How long do you have to file a birth injury claim in New Hampshire?
You only have a limited amount of time to file a New Hampshire birth injury lawsuit due to unique laws in each state known as the statute of limitations.
Once this deadline passes, you won’t be able to sue for a birth injury again.
Don’t delay and miss out on money you deserve. Call (800) 995-1212 now to learn more about your legal options.
Sokolove Law Affiliations & Recognition
Our Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Justice
- New Hampshire State Bar Association
- National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- U.S. News & World Report - 2022 Best Law Firms / Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell - 2022 Peer-Reviewed for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
Sokolove Law Local Reviews
- Better Business Bureau® (BBB): A+ Rating since 2013
- Average Google Rating: 4.6/5
Local New Hampshire Areas We Serve
While Sokolove Law helps people throughout the country, we provide our services to people across the entire state of New Hampshire as well.
Sokolove Law serves locations across New Hampshire including:
- And more
New Hampshire Zip Codes We Serve
As a national law firm, Sokolove Law can help families wherever they may be in the U.S., including across the state of New Hampshire.
Some of the zip codes we serve in New Hampshire include:
Call (800) 995-1212 now for a free case review to learn more about your legal options.