Cerebral palsy is a type of birth injury caused by brain damage or abnormal brain development. In some cases, the condition is a result of preventable medical errors made by medical professionals before, during, or shortly after delivery. When this happens, cerebral palsy attorneys with a national law firm like Sokolove Law will fight on your behalf to pursue the compensation you need to cover your child’s medical expenses and plan for their future.
What Is Cerebral Palsy?
Cerebral palsy describes a group of movement disorders that impact a child’s ability to maintain their posture and balance.
There are 4 main types of cerebral palsy:
- Spastic Cerebral Palsy
- Dyskinetic/Athetoid Cerebral Palsy
- Ataxic Cerebral Palsy
- Mixed Cerebral Palsy
A child’s symptoms and treatment options will depend on the type of cerebral palsy they have. That said, caring for a child’s cerebral palsy or other disabilities can be costly — an estimated $1 Million over your child’s lifetime, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
What Causes Cerebral Palsy?
Cerebral palsy may develop as a result of a brain injury or developmental abnormalities of a child’s brain.
Causes of cerebral palsy include:
- Birth complications or brain damage
- Premature birth or low birth weight
- Multiple births (twins, triplets, etc.)
- Jaundice and kernicterus
- Maternal infections, such as meningitis
- Lack of oxygen or blood flow to the brain
- Improper use of delivery assistance tools (forceps and vacuum extractors)
Filing a Cerebral Palsy Lawsuit
In some cases, these injuries can be the result of a medical mistake made by a doctor or health care professional before, during, or shortly after childbirth — and oftentimes could have been prevented.
If you believe your child’s birth injury was the result of a medical mistake, an experienced cerebral palsy lawyer can help you understand your legal options.
Birth injury lawyers at Sokolove Law have decades of experience working with families affected by cerebral palsy and other birth injuries resulting from medical negligence. We have helped many other parents find answers. Call today or fill out the form on this page to request a free case review.
Our Recent Settlements
- A $9 Million birth injury settlement was awarded in the case of a 5-year-old girl who has cerebral palsy.
- More than $4 Million was awarded in a cerebral palsy case involving a 7-year-old child in New York.
- Over $17 Million in combined cerebral palsy settlements to help families plan for their child’s future.
To learn whether you may be eligible for cerebral palsy settlement compensation, get a free consultation for your medical malpractice case.
About Cerebral Palsy
Take Legal Action