A simple medical mistake before, during, or after birth can lead to serious injuries that are oftentimes irreversible. If your child has suffered a birth injury, you may need the help of a law firm.
A birth injury law firm can help you fight for financial compensation through a lawsuit. This compensation can help pay for your child’s medical care and related expenses.
Get Help with the Costs of Long-Term Birth Injuries
An unexpected birth injury often brings financial hardship, as it can be challenging to manage the additional accommodations that come with a child’s special needs. The injured child may require medical treatment and care that many families can’t afford or take on debt to cover, which can increase the emotional toll a birth injury takes on a family.
Even with modern medical care, some birth injuries like cerebral palsy can never be cured. Children with incurable birth injuries may require treatments throughout their entire life.
Sadly, the costs of managing long-term birth injuries are extremely high. For example, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- The lifetime costs of caring for a child with cerebral palsy is 10 times that of an unaffected child.
- If the child has both cerebral palsy and mental impairment, the cost of care can be 26 times higher compared to unaffected children.
With the help of an experienced birth injury law firm like Sokolove Law, you may be able to get compensation to pay for your child’s costs of care. We have over 40 years of experience handling cases like these and a proven track record of success. We’ve recovered over $761 Million for families affected by birth injuries.
Learn More About Your Options
If you believe your child’s birth injury was the result of a medical mistake, an established birth injury law firm can help you understand your legal options.
Why Work with a Birth Injury Law Firm?
The fact of the matter is that many birth injuries could have been prevented with proper medical care. A doctor’s mistake before, during, or shortly after the delivery could very well have led to a child’s birth injury. When a doctor makes an avoidable mistake, it is known as medical malpractice.
Throughout your pregnancy and the birth of your child, you may have trusted your medical team to keep your baby as safe as possible. If they failed to do this, they can be held accountable.
When you file a claim with a birth injury law firm, your legal team will work to prove that your child’s birth injury was the result of medical negligence or malpractice and fight to secure compensation on your behalf.
By holding medical professionals accountable for their mistakes, you can get justice for your child’s injuries and may be able to help prevent other families from experiencing what yours has gone through.
Pursue Compensation for Your Child’s Injuries
Filing a lawsuit with a birth injury law firm can help relieve the financial burden of your child’s medical care and treatment. If you have a case, birth injury lawyers can work on your behalf to get compensation for you and your family.
Compensation from a birth injury claim can help pay for:
- Adaptive equipment: Wheelchairs, crutches, and speech aids can all help improve a child’s mobility and quality of life. In some cases, the family’s house may need to be modified to accommodate the child’s needs.
- Doctor visits and medical expenses: Children affected by a birth injury often need regular doctor visits to help manage long-term symptoms and other health issues.
- Medications: Different medications are often needed to reduce common birth injury symptoms, such as stiff muscles and seizures.
- Therapy: Children with severe birth injuries may need to see physical, occupational, or speech therapists on a regular basis to help improve their movement and communication.
Securing financial compensation through a lawsuit may be able to help you focus on helping your child manage their birth injury and live a healthier life.
What a Birth Injury Law Firm Can Do for You
When you work with Sokolove Law, our birth lawyers:
- File claims within the statute of limitations: Statutes of limitations are laws that determine the amount of time you have to file a legal claim. These laws vary by state. If you do not file your claim before the statute expires, you will never be able to take legal action.
- Work on a contingency basis: Sokolove Law works on what is known as a contingency basis. This means that there is no upfront cost to file a legal claim with us. Our lawyers will only get paid if your claim is successful.
- Strengthen your claim through investigative work: It can take months, or in some cases, years for a child to be properly diagnosed with a birth injury. Because of this, key details surrounding their birth must be obtained. Sokolove Law has case investigators who can help uncover important medical documents and information to strengthen your case.
- May be able to help you pursue compensation: If you have a case, your legal team is prepared to fight on your behalf to pursue any compensation you may be entitled to, whether your case goes to court or settles beforehand, though there’s no guarantee of results in any case.
Get the Help You Deserve
We can help determine if you may be eligible to pursue compensation on behalf of your child.
Choosing a Birth Injury Law Firm
By ensuring that a firm has the experience, credibility, and resources necessary to handle your claim, the odds of a positive outcome are increased.
Important questions to ask a birth injury law firm include:
- Does the firm have registered nurses on staff? If you’re left with questions about the cause of your child’s condition, a registered nurse with decades of labor and delivery experience can listen to your story and help you to connect the dots around what may have happened. Reach out to a registered nurse with Sokolove Law today.
- Will the firm work on a contingency basis? If the firm requires payment upfront, you risk losing thousands of dollars without getting anything in return. The best birth injury law firms will work on a contingency basis to protect your finances; this means they only receive payment if you do. Birth lawyers with Sokolove Law always work on a contingency basis.
- How many years of experience do you have? Working with well-established firms can increase your chances of receiving compensation. For example, Sokolove Law has been in business for over 40 years and has helped families affected by birth injuries receive millions of dollars in compensation.
- Does the firm have a national reach? Firms that handle cases nationwide have the resources needed to successfully litigate a case, no matter where a client lives.
- Have you been successful with birth injury cases in the past? A birth injury law firm with a track record of success knows what it takes to secure results. Sokolove Law has recovered $761 Million for families affected by birth injuries across the country.
- Will your lawyers keep me informed? At the end of the day, birth injury lawyers should do the heavy legal lifting. Your focus should be on your child’s health — not complicated legal documents. Sokolove Law’s birth injury attorneys will make the legal process as easy as possible for you and keep you updated as your case progresses.
National Birth Injury Firms vs. Local Firms
When considering legal help, families may wonder what kind of law firm will best suit their needs. While a local law firm may seem appealing at first, they actually may not be equipped to handle a birth injury lawsuit in the same way a national law firm can.
Though personal injury lawyers at local firms may be a good option, many may not have the resources to take on a birth injury or medical malpractice case. Birth injury cases can be difficult to litigate, and many local firms focus on general personal injury cases.
As a result, local firms may not be able to get the most (or any) money from a birth injury case — even if it is a strong case.
Birth injury lawyers working with Sokolove Law have experience handling these kinds of cases and know how to maximize the compensation in each case. Get a free case review today to see if you may be eligible to take legal action.
Find a Birth Injury Law Firm Near You
Birth injuries can emotionally and financially devastate families. Because of this, filing a birth injury lawsuit is a crucial step for families. These lawsuits can help cover the high costs associated with birth injury treatments. In turn, this may help reduce a family’s emotional stress.
As a national law firm, Sokolove Law has experienced birth lawyers available all across the country who may be able to help your family. Our experienced attorneys have recovered over $761 Million for thousands of families affected by birth trauma or injuries over the last 40 years — and we may be able to help your family, too.
Birth Injury Law Firm FAQs
When can I contact a law firm about a birth injury case?
It’s important to get in touch with an established birth injury law firm as soon as possible if you suspect something may have happened to your child before, during, or after birth. Even if your child hasn’t received an official diagnosis yet, we may still be able to help with your case.
We have registered nurses on staff with decades of labor and delivery experience who can listen to your story and help you understand what may have happened. If a health care professional’s medical errors contributed to your child’s condition, you may be entitled to compensation — and we may be able to help.
What kinds of birth injuries might warrant legal action?
Many birth injuries could have been prevented. If negligent care by a medical professional resulted in a birth injury, you might be able to hold your healthcare provider accountable for their malpractice.
Just a few of the common conditions that result from birth injuries include:
How long do I have to contact a birth injury law firm?
You only have a limited amount of time to take legal action over birth injuries, so it’s important to contact a law firm as soon as possible. Known as statutes of limitations, these legal deadlines vary from state to state and can be difficult to determine on your own. Get a free case review today to learn more about potential legal options.
How much does it cost to work with a birth injury law firm?
Lawyers with Sokolove Law work on a contingency basis, which means there aren’t any upfront fees. We only get paid if your case is successful.
If I do proceed, who will I be bringing a lawsuit against?
Birth injury lawsuits are generally brought against the healthcare provider(s) whose substandard care or mistakes may have led to your child’s birth injury.
This can be an individual healthcare provider (like a doctor or medical professional) or a company (like hospitals), who gave substandard care to a mother or child at any time prenatally, during the labor and delivery process, and/or after delivery while the child was in the nursery.
How long does a lawsuit take to reach a conclusion?
It can be difficult to specify how long your lawsuit will take to resolve through a settlement or trial. Birth injury lawsuits can take anywhere from several months to several years to resolve depending on the circumstances.
Our lawyers will work to resolve your case as quickly and effectively as possible and keep you updated throughout the entire legal process.