If your child has suffered a birth injury, you may need the help of a law firm. A birth injury law firm can help you receive financial compensation through a lawsuit. This compensation can help pay for your child’s medical care and related expenses.
How a Birth Injury Law Firm Can Help
After a child has been diagnosed with a birth injury, they will need to seek medical treatment. Children may require specialized, long-term care from medical experts to manage their condition. In more serious cases, they may also need customized equipment and expensive medication to improve their everyday lives.
Even with these accommodations, some birth injuries like cerebral palsy can never be cured. Children with incurable birth injuries will require treatments throughout their entire life.
Sadly, the costs of managing long-term birth injuries are extremely high.
For example, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- The lifetime costs of caring for a child with cerebral palsy is 10 times that of an unaffected child.
- If the child has both cerebral palsy and a mental impairment, the cost of care can be 26 times higher compared to unaffected children.
Birth injuries may not be noticed until years after the child’s birth. Because of this, families may never know the exact cause of the injury. However, the doctors who helped deliver the child may be responsible. A simple medical mistake before, during, or after the birth can lead to serious, irreversible injuries.
Sokolove Law is a birth injury law firm with a proven track record of success. We have recovered over $688 Million for families affected by birth injuries. Our firm’s birth injury lawyers will work quickly to file your claim if you are eligible.
Why Work With a Birth Injury Law Firm?
Filing a legal claim for a child’s birth injury is an important step for families to take. An unexpected birth injury can bring long-lasting emotional stress, as it can be extremely taxing to manage the child’s special needs.
Outside of this emotional stress, birth injuries often bring financial hardship. The affected child may require medical care that families cannot afford. This means that the family must take on debt to cover the costs. Either way, these financial issues can increase the emotional toll that a birth injury takes.
Filing a lawsuit with a birth injury law firm helps to relieve these burdens. If you have a valid case, birth injury lawyers will work on your behalf to get compensation for you.
This compensation can help pay for:
- Adaptive equipment: Wheelchairs, crutches, and speech aids can all help improve a child’s mobility and quality of life. In some cases, the family’s house may need to be modified to accommodate the child’s needs.
- Doctor visits: Children affected by a birth injury often need regular doctor visits to help manage long-term symptoms and other health issues.
- Medications: Different medications are often needed to reduce common birth injury symptoms, such as stiff muscles and seizures.
- Therapy: Children with severe birth injuries may need to see physical, occupational, or speech therapists on a regular basis to help improve their movement and communication.
By securing financial compensation through a lawsuit, you can focus on helping your child manage their birth injury and live a healthier life.
Birth Injury Firms vs Local Firms
When considering legal help, families may wonder which law firm will best suit their needs. While a local law firm may seem appealing at first, they may not be equipped to handle a birth injury lawsuit.
Though lawyers at local firms are a credible source of legal help, most will not have the resources to take on a birth injury case. Birth injury cases can be difficult to litigate, and most local firms focus on general personal injury cases. As a result, they may not be able to get the most (or any) money from a birth injury case — even if it is valid.
A specialized birth injury law firm, like Sokolove Law, can help you avoid these problems. The lawyers at these firms have experience handling birth injury cases and know how to maximize the compensation available.
The birth injury lawyers at Sokolove Law can help you:
- File claims within the statute of limitations: Statutes of limitations are laws that determine the amount of time you have to file a legal claim. These laws vary by state. If you do not file your claim before the statute expires, you will never be able to receive compensation.
- Save money by working on a contingency basis: Sokolove Law works on what is known as a contingency basis. This means that there is no upfront cost to file a legal claim with us. Our lawyers will only get paid if your claim is successful.
- Strengthen your claim through investigative work: It can take up to several years for a child to be properly diagnosed with a birth injury. Because of this, key details surrounding their birth may have been forgotten. Sokolove Law has case investigators on staff who can help uncover important medical documents and information to strengthen your case.
Who Will Be Sued?
The fact of the matter is that birth injuries can often be prevented with proper medical care. A doctor’s mistake before, during, or shortly after the delivery could very well have led to a child’s birth injury. When a doctor makes an easily avoidable mistake, it is known as medical malpractice.
Throughout your pregnancy and birth of your child, you trusted your medical team to keep your baby as safe as possible. If they fail to do this, they can be held financially responsible.
When you file a claim with a birth injury law firm, your legal team will work to prove that your child’s birth injury was the result of medical malpractice. Their goal will be to help you receive compensation by going to trial or, most often, reaching a settlement.
Choosing a Birth Injury Law Firm
It is in a family’s best interest to choose a firm that will best suit their needs. By ensuring that a firm has the experience, credibility, and resources necessary to handle your claim, the odds of receiving a larger payout are increased.
Important questions to ask a birth injury law firm include:
- Will the firm work on a contingency basis? If the firm requires payment up front, that is not a good sign. You risk losing thousands of dollars without getting anything in return. The best birth injury law firms will work on a contingency basis to protect your finances. The lawyers at Sokolove Law always work on a contingency basis.
- How many years of experience do you have? Have you been successful? Working with well-established firms that have long track records of success can increase your chances of receiving compensation. For example, Sokolove Law has been in business for over 40 years and has helped families affected by birth injuries receive millions of dollars in compensation.
- Does the firm have a national reach? Firms that handle cases nationwide have the resources needed to successfully litigate a case, no matter where a client lives. Sokolove Law has accredited attorneys in almost every state, so you can receive legal help from anywhere.
- Will your lawyers keep me informed? At the end of the day, birth injury lawyers should do the heavy legal lifting. Your focus should be on your child’s health — not complicated legal documents. Sokolove Law’s birth injury lawyers will make the legal process as easy as possible for you and regularly update you as your case progresses.
Filing a Birth Injury Lawsuit with Sokolove Law
Birth injuries can emotionally and financially devastate families. Because of this, filing a birth injury lawsuit is a crucial step for families. These lawsuits can help cover the high costs associated with birth injury treatments. In turn, this helps reduce a family’s emotional stress.
To maximize the value of your lawsuit and get the compensation you desire, work with a birth injury law firm. If your case is valid, birth injury lawyers will work tirelessly to get you the financial compensation you deserve.
Sokolove Law is a national law firm with experience handling birth injury lawsuits. Our firm has helped families affected by birth injuries recover over $688 Million. We may be able to help your family, too.