A simple medical mistake before, during, or after birth can lead to serious injuries that can sadly be irreversible. If your child has suffered a birth injury, you may benefit from the help of an experienced law firm.
A birth injury law firm can help you fight for financial compensation by taking legal action. This compensation can help pay for your child’s medical care and related expenses.
Get Help with the Costs of Long-Term Birth Injuries
An unexpected birth injury often brings financial hardship, as it can be hard to manage the costs that come with a child’s special needs. The injured child may require medical treatment and care that many families can’t afford or take on debt to cover, which can increase the emotional toll a birth injury takes on a family.
Even with modern medical care, some birth injuries like cerebral palsy can never be cured. Children with incurable birth injuries may require treatments throughout their entire life.
Sadly, the costs of managing long-term birth injuries can be extremely high. For example, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that the lifetime cost of care for a child with cerebral palsy is nearly $1 Million.
Average lifetime cost of care for someone affected by cerebral palsy
With the help of an experienced birth injury law firm like Sokolove Law, you may be able to get compensation that can help pay for your child’s costs of care.
Compensation from a birth injury claim can help pay for:
With over 40 years of experience handling cases like these, Sokolove Law has a long track record of success. As of June 2023, we've recovered over $834 Million for families affected by birth injuries nationwide.
If you have a case, our birth injury lawyers can fight for the compensation your family deserves.
Why Work with a Birth Injury Law Firm?
Throughout your pregnancy and the birth of your child, you may have trusted your medical team to keep your baby as safe as possible. Sadly, many birth injuries could have been prevented with proper medical care.
An error or mistake by a medical professional before, during, or shortly after the delivery could very well have caused your child’s birth injury.
When a doctor makes an avoidable mistake or fails to respond properly to a difficult delivery, it is known as medical malpractice — and it is something you can hold them accountable for.
When you file a claim with a birth injury law firm, your legal team will work to prove that your child’s birth injury was the result of medical negligence or malpractice and fight to secure compensation on your behalf.
By holding medical professionals accountable for their mistakes, you can get justice for your child’s injuries and may be able to help prevent other families from experiencing what you have gone through.
Pursue Compensation for Your Child’s Injuries
An experienced birth injury law firm may be able to fight for the compensation your family needs, helping to ease the financial burden of your child’s medical care and treatment.
At Sokolove Law, our birth injury lawyers have secured over $834 Million for thousands of families affected by birth injury malpractice.
Some of our notable birth injury settlements and verdicts include:
- $10.4 Million for a child in Pennsylvania with cerebral palsy
- $8 Million for a family in California whose child was injured during a vacuum-assisted delivery
- $6 Million for a child in New York whose jaundice went untreated and worsened
- $5.97 Million for a Texas child who suffered oxygen deprivation due to delayed medical care
- $4.5 Million for a child in Illinois who developed Erb’s palsy
- Over $2 Million for a child in North Carolina who suffered a brachial plexus injury
Securing financial compensation through a lawsuit may be able to help your child manage their birth injury and live a healthier life for years to come.
Let us use our decades of experience to fight for your family. Call (800) 995-1212 now to get started.
What a Birth Injury Law Firm Can Do for You
By working with a birth injuries law firm, you can put the legal process in the hands of an experienced team of birth injury attorneys and legal professionals.
When you work with Sokolove Law, our birth lawyers can:
- Help you pursue compensation: If you have a case, your legal team is prepared to fight on your behalf to pursue any compensation you may be entitled to, whether your case goes to court or settles beforehand. However, there’s no guarantee of results in any case.
- File your claim within the statute of limitations: Statutes of limitations are laws that determine the amount of time you have to file a legal claim. These laws vary by state. If you do not file your claim before the statute expires, you will never be able to take legal action.
- Strengthen your claim through investigative work: It can take months or years in some cases for a child to be properly diagnosed with a birth injury. Because of this, key details surrounding their birth must be obtained. Sokolove Law has case investigators who can help uncover important medical documents and information to strengthen your case.
- Work on a contingency basis, so there’s no financial risk: Working on a contingency basis means there are no upfront or out-of-pocket costs to work with us. We only get paid if your claim successfully results in compensation.
Learn More About Your Options
If you believe your child’s birth injury was the result of a medical mistake, an established birth injury law firm can help you understand your legal options.
Choosing a Birth Injury Law Firm
By ensuring that a birth injury law firm has the experience, credibility, and resources necessary to handle your claim, the odds of a positive outcome are increased.
Important questions to ask birth injury law firms include:
- How much does the firm charge? If the firm requires payment upfront, you risk losing thousands of dollars without getting anything in return. The best birth injury law firms will work on a contingency basis, meaning you only pay after the firm has secured financial compensation for you. Birth lawyers with Sokolove Law always work on a contingency basis.
- How many years of experience do you have? Working with well-established firms can increase your chances of receiving compensation. Sokolove Law has been in business for over 40 years and has helped thousands of families affected by birth injuries receive millions of dollars in compensation.
- Have you been successful with birth injury cases in the past? A birth injury law firm with a track record of success knows what it takes to secure results. Sokolove Law has recovered $834 Million for families affected by birth injuries across the country.
- Does the firm have a national reach? Firms that handle cases nationwide have the resources needed to successfully litigate a case, no matter where a client lives.
- Will your lawyers keep me informed? At the end of the day, birth injury lawyers should do the heavy legal lifting. Your focus should be on your child’s health — not complicated legal documents. Sokolove Law’s birth injury attorneys will make the legal process as easy as possible for you and keep you updated as your case progresses.
- Does the firm have registered nurses on staff? If you’re not sure about the cause of your child’s condition or if your case is considered medical malpractice, our team of registered nurses with decades of labor and delivery experience can listen to your story and help you connect the dots around what may have happened.
“Anyone who’s had a child with a birth-related injury — I talk to them about what happened during their pregnancy, the delivery, and how the child is doing to see if it’s something we could assist with.”
– Kristin Proctor, Registered Nurse with Sokolove Law
Want to Talk to a Nurse?
Get in touch with one of our registered nurses with extensive labor and delivery experience.
National Birth Injury Firms vs. Local Firms
When considering legal help, families may wonder what kind of law firm will best suit their needs. While a local law firm may seem appealing at first, they actually may not be equipped to handle a birth injury lawsuit in the same way a national law firm can.
Many personal injury lawyers at local firms may not have the resources to take on a birth injury or medical malpractice case. Birth injury cases can be difficult to litigate, and many local firms only focus on general personal injury cases.
As a result, local firms may not be able to get the most (or any) money from a birth injury case — even if it is a strong case.
At Sokolove Law, our birth injury lawyers have experience with these kinds of cases and know how to maximize the compensation in each case.
Get a free case review or call (800) 995-1212 now to see if you may be eligible to take legal action.
Find a Birth Injury Law Firm Near You
Birth injuries can emotionally and financially devastate families. Because of this, filing a birth injury lawsuit can be a crucial first step toward justice for many families.
Compensation from a legal claim can help cover the high costs associated with birth injury treatments. In turn, this may help reduce a family’s emotional stress and improve the child’s quality of life.
As a national birth injury law firm, Sokolove Law has experienced childbirth lawyers available all across the country who may be able to help your family.
Our experienced attorneys have recovered over $834 Million for thousands of families affected by birth trauma or injuries over the last 40 years — and we may be able to help your family, too.
Sokolove Law has registered nurses on staff who can listen to your story and help you understand what may have happened.
Call (800) 995-1212 or fill out our contact form to learn more about your legal options and see if we may be able to help your family. It costs nothing to contact us, and our team is available 24/7.
Birth Injuries Law Firm FAQs
What kinds of birth injuries might warrant legal action?
Many birth injuries could have been prevented. If negligent care by a medical professional resulted in a birth injury, you might be able to hold them accountable for their malpractice.
Just a few of the common conditions that result from birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Brain injuries
- Erb’s palsy
- Forceps or vacuum extractor injuries
- Infant brain damage, often caused by fetal distress (i.e. lack of oxygen or oxygen deprivation)
- Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC)
- Nerve injuries or damage
- Skull or bone fracturing
- Spinal cord injuries
When can you sue for a birth injury?
It’s important to get in touch with an established birth injury law firm as soon as possible if you think something may have happened to your child before, during, or after birth.
Even if your child hasn’t received an official diagnosis yet, we may still be able to help with your case.
We have registered nurses on staff with decades of labor and delivery experience who can listen to your story and help you understand what may have happened.
If a health care professional’s medical errors contributed to your child’s condition, you may be entitled to compensation — and we may be able to help.
How long do I have to contact a birth injury law firm?
You only have a limited amount of time to take legal action over birth injuries, so it’s important to contact a law firm as soon as possible.
Known as statutes of limitations, these legal deadlines vary from state to state and can be difficult to determine on your own.
Get a free case review today to learn more about your potential legal options.
How much does it cost to work with a birth injury law firm?
As a national birth injury law firm, Sokolove Law works on a contingency basis, which means there aren’t any upfront fees. We only get paid if your case is successful.
Who will I be suing for my child’s birth injury?
Birth injury lawsuits are generally filed against the health care provider(s) whose mistakes may have led to your child’s birth injury.
This can be an individual health care provider (like a doctor or medical professional) or a company (like a hospital), who gave substandard care to a mother or child at any time before birth, during the labor and delivery process, and/or after delivery while the child was in the nursery.
How long does it take to get birth injury compensation?
It can be difficult to predict how long a potential birth injury case will take to resolve through a birth injury settlement or trial.
It can take anywhere from a couple months to several years to receive compensation from a birth injury lawsuit depending on the circumstances.
At Sokolove Law, our lawyers know that time is of the essence for many families who need results now.
Our team will work to resolve your case as quickly and effectively as possible, while keeping you updated throughout the entire legal process.