Mesothelioma VA benefits include access to world-class health care, top cancer specialists, and several forms of compensation for both veterans and their families.
Filing a mesothelioma VA claim can be complex, but Sokolove Law is here to help. Don't delay — call (800) 647-3434 now for a free case review.
Mesothelioma Veterans Benefits for Military Asbestos Exposure
Mesothelioma is an aggressive cancer caused by asbestos, which was used extensively by the U.S. military until the 1980s. Roughly 33% of all new mesothelioma cases involve veterans who bravely served their country.
Today, veterans from all branches of the military are, in turn, taken care of by their country through mesothelioma VA benefits, including the:
At Sokolove Law, our VA-accredited attorneys have helped veterans and their families secure mesothelioma VA benefits in addition to compensation from legal claims.
We’ve recovered more than $1.3 Billion for veterans with mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases.
Call (800) 647-3434 now to find out if you qualify. We're available 24/7, and it costs nothing to speak with us.
100% Mesothelioma VA Disability Rating
The mesothelioma VA disability rating is 100% due to the severity of the disease. This allows veterans with mesothelioma to receive the highest payments from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
VA Monthly Payment for Mesothelioma, Plus Free Health Care
At Sokolove Law, we can work to help veterans and their families:
- Prepare and file mesothelioma VA claims
- Increase mesothelioma VA disability ratings to 100%
- Appeal denied mesothelioma VA claims
- Pursue compensation from mesothelioma lawsuits and asbestos trust funds
Our attorneys have helped thousands of veterans access the compensation they deserve. We’ll fight hard to get you everything you’re entitled to.
Billions Recovered Nationwide
We’ve recovered over $4.9 Billion for mesothelioma patients and their families nationwide. Let us get you the results you deserve.
Who Qualifies for Mesothelioma Benefits?
You may qualify for mesothelioma benefits from the VA if you or a loved one was:
- Diagnosed with mesothelioma, lung cancer, or another asbestos-related disease
- Exposed to asbestos while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces
- Honorably discharged from the military
Even if a veteran in your family has already passed away from mesothelioma, you may still qualify for mesothelioma VA benefits and other forms of financial compensation on their behalf.
Our asbestos lawyers can gather all of the evidence needed to apply for these benefits on your behalf.
Find out which mesothelioma benefits you may qualify for now during a free, no-obligation case review.
Types of VA Benefits for Mesothelioma
There are many VA benefits available to veterans with mesothelioma that are designed to protect and support sick veterans and their families.
Aid and Attendance (A&A)
Aid and Attendance is additional compensation that may be added to a VA pension for veterans with mesothelioma who need help caring for themselves.
This benefit is awarded to veterans who are:
- Bedridden due to an illness
- Experiencing limited eyesight (5/200 or less)
- In a nursing home due to complications linked to their disability
- Unable to perform daily activities without the help of another person
Veterans with mesothelioma only need to meet one of the above requirements to qualify for A&A benefits.
Mesothelioma VA Disability Claims
Mesothelioma VA disability claims award tax-free monthly payments to veterans who were exposed to asbestos while in the military and later developed mesothelioma. Veterans with mesothelioma receive a 100% disability rating, which represents the most severe injuries and illnesses.
For 2024, monthly VA mesothelioma disability payments are $3,737.85 for a single veteran, with more for veterans with spouses and children.
VA Health Care for Mesothelioma
Veterans with mesothelioma and other asbestos-related diseases can receive health care through the VA.
Some of the best mesothelioma specialists work at VA hospitals, and they can provide patients with advice, care, and access to world-class mesothelioma treatment options.
Veterans with mesothelioma and their caregivers may be reimbursed by the VA for travel expenses related to receiving care from approved medical providers.
Housebound benefits for mesothelioma are awarded to veterans who are largely confined to their homes due to their illness. Similar to A&A benefits, housebound benefits are additional payments that may be added to a veteran’s VA pension.
Compensation from housebound benefits cannot be received at the same time as A&A benefits.
Mesothelioma VA Pension Claims
Mesothelioma VA pension claims pay monthly benefits to wartime veterans with financial needs based on their:
- Net worth
- Active duty wartime service
For 2024, annual VA pension benefits range from $16,551 to $43,791 based on your dependents, marriage status, and whether you meet the criteria for A&A or housebound benefits.
VA Special Monthly Compensation for Mesothelioma
For veterans who face significant challenges as a result of their disease or injury, VA Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) may be available. SMC can cover extra care and assistance for veterans with mesothelioma who are no longer fully independent due to their illness.
Veterans, surviving spouses, and parents all may qualify for SMC. Like VA disability compensation, it's tax-free.
VA Benefits for Family Members
The VA offers several different types of mesothelioma VA benefits for family members of veterans as well:
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC): After a veteran passes away from mesothelioma, their spouse, children, or parents can apply for tax-free monthly DIC payments worth several hundred to several thousand dollars. Higher payouts are given to families with multiple dependents.
- Health Care: Spouses and dependent children may be eligible for insurance through the Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) or TRICARE. Family caregivers may also be eligible for health care benefits through the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers (PCAFC).
- Mesothelioma VA Burial Benefits: The VA may pay up to $2,000 for a veteran’s burial and funeral. Families may also be able to request military funeral honors and a headstone for their loved one.
- Survivors Pension: Also called a death pension, this compensation starts at $11,102 a year and is given to qualifying spouses or dependent children of wartime veterans who have since passed away.
Additional financial support may also be available outside of the VA. Asbestos claims after death can help families get by after their loved one has passed away.
Let us get you all of the benefits you may be entitled to. Call (800) 647-3434 now to find out your options.
Financial Compensation for Veterans with Mesothelioma
In addition to monthly VA benefits and health care, veterans with mesothelioma and their families can often access:
- Over $1 Million Average Settlement Out of Court: Filing a mesothelioma lawsuit can secure significant compensation from the companies that made or sold the asbestos-containing products you were exposed to. These lawsuits are never filed against the U.S. military or government.
- The Estimated $30 Billion Available in Asbestos Trusts: Billions have been set aside by bankrupt asbestos-related companies for mesothelioma victims and their families — and you don't have to sue or go to court to get this compensation.
“What convinced me to carry on with a lawsuit was when I was informed I wasn’t suing the government, I wasn’t suing the U.S. Navy. I was suing the manufacturer. I got mad then. Because they knew, many years prior, what asbestos would do to a human.”
– Walter, U.S. Navy Veteran & Sokolove Law Client
Filing a mesothelioma lawsuit or asbestos trust fund claim will not impact your current or future VA benefits.
Our attorneys can pursue compensation from all of the different options available to you in order to maximize the amount you may receive. We don’t charge any upfront or out-of-pocket costs, so there’s no financial risk to taking legal action.
Get the Compensation You Deserve
We’ve helped thousands of veterans secure compensation for mesothelioma. Let Sokolove Law get you everything you’re entitled to.
How to File a Mesothelioma VA Claim
At Sokolove Law, we strive to make filing a mesothelioma VA claim as stress-free as possible. Our attorneys can prepare all of the paperwork for you, so you can focus on your health and spending time with loved ones.
Filing VA mesothelioma claims usually involves:
- Contacting a VA-Accredited Lawyer: Determine what benefits you may be eligible for during a free case review.
- Collecting Evidence to Prove Eligibility: Our team will gather information about your diagnosis, military service, and what you may have been exposed to so we can prove a 100% mesothelioma VA disability rating and get you the highest monthly payments possible.
- Filing an Asbestos VA Claim: A Veterans Service Office (VSO) will file your mesothelioma VA claim with the VA, who will review your case and decide an outcome. If your claim is denied, we can help you file an appeal.
- Receiving Compensation: Once your VA mesothelioma claim is approved, the VA will send you a letter detailing the benefits you’ll receive and the date these benefits will become effective. Our team can also help you pursue additional compensation from lawsuits or trust funds if you qualify.
As of December 2023, it took the VA an average of 105.25 days to complete a disability-related claim — but filing an asbestos claim may be able to result in additional payouts sooner.
For many clients, the mesothelioma payout timeline has started within 90 days of contacting us, providing families with quicker access to much-needed compensation.
For our veterans, there is a strong likelihood that you had exposure to asbestos products while serving our country. That's certainly true of the majority of our Naval veterans. But if you're in the Air Force, or Navy, or Marines, or Army, Coast Guard, and you were around aircrafts, they also contained asbestos. We tell our veterans that you should always file the mesothelioma lawsuit because it is a place where you're going to get full compensation, or at least the closest compensation and justice we can get you. But if you have the option of filing a VA claim, you certainly should look into that as well. Don't fall into the trap that the VA claim is your best and only solution. The Veterans Administration, while it provides benefits, those benefits at least in their full form, are only paid out to the veteran. Once the veteran is deceased, the family doesn't receive the same monthly benefit as they once did. The Veterans Administration does not pay you for any of your pain, any of the suffering you have, any the loss of enjoyment of your grandchildren or your wife, that doesn't happen. If you go in the civil court system, we can make claims for all of those things and get you more fully compensated. If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, Sokolove Law is here to help call us today at 800-647-3434.
Filing Mesothelioma VA Claims for Over 40 Years
Since 1979, Sokolove Law has fought on behalf of veterans with mesothelioma and their families, working to secure meaningful amounts of compensation from mesothelioma VA claims, lawsuits, and trust funds.
Our team has recovered over $4.9 Billion for mesothelioma patients and their families across all 50 states, and there are no hourly fees or out-of-pocket costs to work with us.
VA Mesothelioma Claims & Benefits FAQs
Why do veterans get mesothelioma?
All branches of the U.S. military used asbestos-containing products for most of the 20th century, which put a significant number of veterans at risk for exposure to asbestos. As a result, veterans make up 33% of all mesothelioma diagnoses.
Some military jobs, like mechanics and veterans who worked on U.S. Navy ships, are at an especially high risk of developing mesothelioma due to how closely they may have worked with asbestos.
Is mesothelioma a VA disability?
Yes. Veterans can file a mesothelioma VA disability claim for monthly compensation benefits.
Because the mesothelioma VA disability rating is 100%, veterans can qualify for over $3,700 or more each month.
Who is eligible for asbestos VA benefits?
To be eligible for asbestos VA benefits, veterans must have:
- Been exposed to asbestos during their military service
- Developed an asbestos-related disease like mesothelioma or lung cancer
- Received an honorable discharge from the military
At Sokolove Law, we can help families pursue VA compensation for asbestos exposure and any resulting illnesses.
Find out if you may be eligible for asbestos VA benefits now for free.
What is the VA disability rating for mesothelioma?
The mesothelioma VA disability rating is 100% due to the severity of this disease, making veterans with mesothelioma eligible for the highest monthly payments from the VA.
At Sokolove Law, we can help you prepare and file your VA claim or increase your current disability rating, so you can get the benefits you deserve.
Call (800) 647-3434 now. It costs nothing to speak with our team.
How much do veterans get for mesothelioma?
Veterans with mesothelioma may be eligible for significant compensation from multiple sources, including:
- An average of over $1 Million from asbestos lawsuit settlements
- VA disability payments worth more than $3,700 a month
- Compensation from asbestos trust funds, which contain approximately $30 Billion
See if you qualify now for free. We’ve already helped families affected by mesothelioma secure over $4.9 Billion.
What percentage of asbestos exposure is VA disability?
The VA disability percentage for asbestos exposure may vary based on the disease you’ve been diagnosed with, how severe your condition is, and the impact the disease has on your overall function.
Asbestos lung cancer and mesothelioma both qualify for a 100% disability rating from the VA.
On the other hand, the VA rating for asbestos exposure linked to illnesses like asbestosis, pleural plaques, and pleural effusions can range from 0% to 100%.
What types of mesothelioma VA benefits are available for veterans and their families?
Various forms of monthly compensation, travel and burial reimbursements, access to top medical specialists, travel and burial reimbursements, and more may be available through VA benefits for mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma VA benefits for veterans and their families include:
- Over $3,700 in monthly disability compensation
- Aid and Attendance
- Housebound benefits
- Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)
- VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC)
- VA health care
- VA Pension benefits
Find out which mesothelioma VA benefits you qualify for by calling (800) 647-3434 now.
How much does a VA-accredited attorney for mesothelioma benefits charge?
There are no upfront costs or hourly fees to seek mesothelioma benefits with the help of our VA-accredited attorneys.
We only get paid if we successfully secure compensation for you, so there’s no financial risk to pursuing VA benefits for asbestos exposure with our team.
Will other forms of mesothelioma compensation affect my VA benefits?
No. Pursuing mesothelioma compensation from a lawsuit or asbestos trust fund will not impact your current or future VA benefits.
At Sokolove Law, we’ll fight for compensation from all of the options available to you. Contact our team now for a free legal case review.