The use of chemical hair relaxers has recently been linked to serious illnesses, including uterine and endometrial cancer. If you or a loved one suffered from cancer after using a chemical hair relaxer, you may be eligible for compensation from a hair relaxer lawsuit.
Call (800) 995-1212 now for a free case review to learn more about your legal options.
Hair Relaxers and Cancer
Hair relaxers contain chemicals that are meant to temporarily straighten curly hair by breaking down protein bonds. However, some of these chemicals may be endocrine disruptors.
Endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) impact the endocrine system, which produces, stores, and secretes hormones in the body. EDCs found in hair relaxers can be absorbed through cuts, burns, lesions, or sores on the scalp.
Frequent use of hair relaxers may increase the risk of estrogen-dependent cancers like:
- Endometrial cancer
- Uterine cancer
Women who use chemical straighteners more than 4 times in a year are approximately 2.5 times more likely to develop uterine cancer.
Black women may be disproportionately at risk of illnesses caused by hair relaxers and EDCs. In a study conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), approximately 60% of the participants who used chemical straighteners in the previous year identified as Black women.
To pursue justice, families across the country have turned to filing hair relaxer lawsuits against the manufacturers of these dangerous products.
See If You Can Take Action
If you used chemical hair relaxers and developed cancer, you can learn about your legal options — for free. Take the first steps toward justice now.
Hair Relaxer Lawsuit Updates 2023-2024
Hair relaxer cases were consolidated into a multidistrict litigation (MDL) or class action lawsuit in February 2023. Since then, each update on the hair relaxer lawsuit has brought those harmed by chemical hair relaxer products one step closer to potentially securing justice.
Recent updates on the hair relaxer litigation MDL include:
- February 2024: Due to the complexity of this case, lawyers are seeking a Special Master to oversee the exchange of information between the plaintiffs and the defendants. This will help the hair relaxer lawsuits to proceed smoothly and efficiently.
- January 2024: There are currently 8,026 claims pending in the hair relaxer class action or MDL against manufacturers like L'Oréal® and Revlon®.
- December 2023: As part of the current discovery phase, hair relaxer lawyers representing both sides of litigation are gathering evidence to support their claims.
- November 2023: The motion to dismiss the hair relaxer MDL was denied by Judge Rowland, allowing thousands of claims to proceed in court.
- October 2023: Almost 6,000 people have come forward to file claims against L’Oreal and the other companies named in the hair relaxer litigation.
- September 2023: A Master Complaint was filed for the chemical hair relaxer cases that combined all of the claims and evidence supporting the link between health issues and the use of hair relaxer.
- July 2023: Hair relaxer manufacturers filed a motion to dismiss the claims filed against them, alleging there isn't a clear link between their products and different types of cancer.
- February 2023: Approximately 60 hair straightener lawsuits were consolidated into an MDL in the United States District Court Northern District of Illinois Eastern Division under Judge Mary Rowland.
At Sokolove Law, our experienced hair relaxer lawyers will keep you updated every step of the way as your case progresses and we fight on your behalf.
Call (800) 995-1212 now to find out if our team can help with your claim.
Who Can File a Lawsuit for Hair Relaxer Products?
You may be eligible to file a hair relaxer lawsuit if you:
- Used hair relaxers or chemical hair straightening products
- Later developed uterine cancer or endometrial cancer
There’s only a limited about of time to take legal action due to state laws known as statutes of limitations, so it’s important to contact a hair relaxer attorney as soon as possible.
Get a free case review now to find out if you qualify for hair relaxer litigation.
How to File a Hair Relaxer Cancer Lawsuit
At Sokolove Law, we strive to make the legal process as easy as possible for our clients. If you have a case, our hair relaxer attorneys can handle every step of the legal process for you, so you can focus on your health.
The steps of the legal process generally include:
- Contacting Sokolove Law: We’ll provide you with a free legal consultation to determine if you have a case.
- Collecting Evidence: Evidence may include medical records and identifying the brands of hair relaxers used.
- Filing Your Hair Relaxer Cancer Lawsuit: Our attorneys will work to file your claim within any necessary deadlines or statutes of limitations.
- Negotiating a Hair Relaxer Settlement: We will work to negotiate a hair relaxer settlement amount with the defendant on your behalf.
- Pursuing a Verdict in a Trial: If no hair relaxer cash settlement is reached, we are prepared to present your case in court.
By filing a hair relaxer lawsuit, you can take a stand against the companies that made these products and seek compensation to help pay for your medical treatment.
The Value of Hair Relaxer Settlements & Verdicts
Hair relaxer compensation can be received through a settlement or a trial verdict. A hair relaxer settlement is an amount of financial compensation that your legal team and the defendant(s) agree to for the damages in your case, while a verdict is awarded in court.
A variety of factors in each case are taken into account when determining how much someone can get from a hair relaxer lawsuit.
Hair relaxer settlement amounts may factor in the:
- Severity of injuries sustained from hair relaxers
- Total estimated cost of medical bills
- Cost of funeral expenses, if applicable
- Other economic or punitive damages
At Sokolove Law, our chemical hair relaxer lawyers will fight hard to get you everything you’re entitled to. Contact us now to get started.
Billions Recovered Nationwide
At Sokolove Law, we’ve recovered over $9.3 Billion for thousands of injured clients nationwide. Let us get you the results you deserve.
Get Help from Our Hair Relaxer Lawyers
At Sokolove Law, we believe that all people deserve equal access to the justice system. That’s why we provide all of our clients with legal help at no upfront or out-of-pocket cost.
For more than 40 years, we’ve helped people across the country who have suffered preventable injuries or illnesses, securing over $9.3 Billion for our clients.
See what our hair relaxer attorneys may be able to do for you: Call (800) 995-1212 or fill out our contact form today. You may be eligible to pursue justice and compensation from the company that caused you harm.
Note: All brands are trademarks of their respective companies.
Hair Relaxer Uterine Cancer Lawsuit FAQs
Is there a uterine cancer class action lawsuit for hair relaxer products?
Yes. Nearly 8,100 hair relaxer lawsuits against L'Oreal USA Inc and other companies have been consolidated into a multidistrict litigation (MDL) or class action lawsuit. These lawsuits claim that the chemicals found in hair relaxer products cause cancer.
There's still time for you to join the hair relaxer class action lawsuit — but you have to act fast. Call (800) 995-1212 now to get started.
Who qualifies for a hair relaxer lawsuit?
You may qualify for a hair relaxer lawsuit if you:
- Used chemical hair straightening products or relaxers
- Were later diagnosed with endometrial cancer or uterine cancer
Call (800) 995-1212 now for free help determining your eligibility.
How much money do you get from hair relaxer lawsuits?
Because this class action lawsuit is still so new, it is too early to tell exactly how much a hair relaxer lawsuit may be worth.
However, hair relaxer settlement amounts vary based on the individual details of each case, including what health problems were suffered as a result of using a hair relaxer.
At Sokolove Law, we’ll fight hard to get you everything you’re entitled to. Call (800) 995-1212 today for a free consultation.
What factors affect hair relaxer cash settlements?
Numerous factors may impact a hair relaxer cash settlement, including:
- The type of illness you developed after using a chemical hair relaxer
- The severity of this illness
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
How much do lawyers for a hair relaxer cancer lawsuit cost?
At Sokolove Law, our hair relaxer attorneys charge no upfront or out-of-pocket costs. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we only get paid if your case results in compensation.
What is the hair relaxer lawsuit statute of limitations?
Every state has its own unique set of laws known as statutes of limitations, which prevent people from filing lawsuits after a certain amount of time.
Once this deadline passes, you will not be able to take legal action for injuries caused by hair relaxers.
It is important to contact Sokolove Law as soon as possible — we can help determine if you may still be eligible to file a hair relaxer lawsuit.
Do hair relaxers cause cancer?
Potentially, yes. Researchers have found that women who reported using chemical hair straighteners were twice as likely to develop uterine cancer than those who did not.
Hair relaxers have also been linked to additional health concerns such as endometrial and ovarian cancer.
Which hair relaxers cause cancer?
Many different brands of hair relaxers may increase the risk of cancer. At this time, lawsuits have been filed against L’Oreal, which manufactures Dark & Lovely and other brands.
Additionally, SoftSheen, Strength of Nature, and Namaste are other hair relaxer manufacturers that have also been named as defendants.
Can hair relaxers by L’Oreal cause cancer?
Potentially. As of January 2024, thousands of lawsuits have been filed against L’Oreal claiming that the brand’s hair relaxers have caused cancer. The L’Oreal lawsuit has since been consolidated into a class action lawsuit.