Nursing home abuse is the mistreatment, neglect, or physical or sexual abuse of an elderly person in a nursing home or other long-term care facility. Nursing home abuse is an under-recognized but serious problem that can occur in the institutions you trust and depend on to care for your family members.
Call (800) 995-1212 or get a free case review today to see if nursing home abuse attorneys with Sokolove Law can help your family seek justice and compensation.
What Constitutes Nursing Home Abuse?
Institutional elder abuse or nursing home abuse has continued to rise despite the increased scrutiny of assisted living facilities.
Each year, 1 in 3 long-term care facilities and homes is cited for causing death or serious personal injury to a nursing home resident, according to the Journal of Gerontology & Geriatric Research (JGGR).
State attorneys general’s offices are seeing an increase in medical malpractice and nursing home abuse lawsuits brought by nursing home law firms — but elder abuse often goes unrecognized and unreported. This makes it especially important to understand the different types and signs of abuse.
Elder abuse law defines the types of nursing home abuse as:
- Physical abuse: The use of force, intentionally or otherwise, that results in serious injury (for example, broken bones), physical pain, impairment, or even wrongful death.
- Neglect: Nursing home neglect refers to failure of the caregiver to fulfill their obligations, duties, or standard of care. The effects of neglect are displayed most often in the form of malnutrition, medication errors, weight loss, poor hygiene, and bedsores.
- Sexual abuse: Non-consensual sexual contact of any kind can be considered sexual assault of older adults in nursing facilities.
If you believe you or a loved one experienced one of these types of abuse in a nursing home care facility, you may be able to take legal action to hold the abuser accountable.
Hold Abusers Accountable
If an older member of your family was abused or neglected in a care facility, you may be able to hold abusers accountable and secure compensation. Learn more about your legal options today.
Why Work With a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer?
A nursing home abuse lawyer can help you understand the underlying dynamics of abuse and show you what to look for.
You may suspect a nursing home staff member of wrongdoing, but an institutional elder abuse attorney can be quick to recognize all of the warning signs, and they may be able to assist you in determining if you or your loved one has been a victim of abuse.
Common signs of nursing home abuse in elderly residents — like bedsores, bruises, disorientation, and unexplained weight loss — are often explained away or perceived as the natural results of aging. This oversight leads many cases of abuse to go unreported.
In fact, only 1 in 24 cases of elder abuse are reported to authorities, according to the National Council on Aging (NCOA).
An experienced nursing home abuse lawyer may be able to help you:
- Hold the nursing home staff members accountable
- Prevent others from potentially experiencing the same pain and suffering
- Pursue compensation that may help pay for medical care or relocation costs
- Seek justice over what happened to you or your loved one
Our nursing home abuse attorneys are familiar with the legal and emotional intricacies of institutional elder abuse and may be able to assist you in taking legal action.
How Nursing Home Attorneys Can Help
If you or your loved one experienced elder abuse in a nursing home or long-term care facility, figuring out your options, collecting evidence, and filing paperwork on time may be the last thing you want to worry about. That’s where we may be able to help.
When you work with a national nursing home abuse law firm like Sokolove Law, our attorneys can handle every step of the legal process for you, so you can focus on your family during this difficult time.
In general, the legal process may involve your nursing home lawyer and legal team:
- Reviewing the details of your case to determine your eligibility to take legal action
- Gathering the evidence of abuse or negligence needed to prove your claim
- Filing the nursing home abuse lawsuit on your behalf
- Negotiating a nursing home settlement with the defendant
- Arguing your case in court before a judge and jury, if your case doesn’t settle
Our Past Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Results
Over the last 40+ years, our nursing home attorneys have recovered over $229 Million on behalf of victims of elder abuse and their loved ones nationwide, including the following nursing home settlements and verdicts:
- $2 Million for an elderly woman in Pennsylvania
- $1.35 Million for a senior with a shoulder injury in Alabama
- $750,000 for an elderly man in West Virginia
- $1.12 Million for a woman in New Jersey
- $695,000 for a man in Alaska
- $1 Million for a California woman with dementia
Get the Help Your Family Deserves
We are compassionate with those who turn to us — and relentless with those who’ve done them wrong. Let us fight for your family.
What to Look for in a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney
When you work with a nursing home abuse attorney, you can make the process of filing a lawsuit much easier on yourself by putting your case in experienced and skilled hands. Keep in mind, though, that not all lawyers are able to offer you the same resources or advantages.
To find the best nursing home abuse attorney for your case, look for a law firm that can offer you:
- Free, No-Obligation Case Evaluations: Don’t keep wondering if you’re able to do something about what happened to you or your family member. We can review the details of your claim at no cost to you and let you know if you’re able to take legal action.
- Decades of Experience: For over 40 years, attorneys with Sokolove Law have been helping injured clients hold those who harmed them accountable — and pursue compensation in the process.
- Nationwide Representation: Our nursing home abuse attorneys have helped victims of elder abuse in all 50 states get the justice they deserve. We may be able to help with your nursing home abuse case wherever you may be.
- A History of Successful Results: Nursing home lawyers with Sokolove Law have recovered over $229 Million on behalf of our nursing home abuse clients and their families.
Find a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near You
No matter what your financial circumstances are, you have the right to seek justice. When you work with Sokolove Law, our experienced elder abuse attorneys may be able to help you fight back against abusers and pursue the financial compensation your loved one deserves — at no out-of-pocket cost to you.
A member of our legal team is available 24/7 to listen to your story, answer any questions you may have, and help determine your potential legal options.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Attorney FAQs
Can a nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer help with my case?
The easiest way to see if you have a case that our nursing home abuse and neglect lawyers may be able to help with is to get a free, no-obligation case review.
Once you tell us more about what’s going on, a member of our team will review those details and reach out to you as soon as possible to discuss your potential legal options.
How much does it cost to hire a nursing home injury attorney?
There are no out-of-pocket fees to contact or hire nursing home injury attorneys with Sokolove Law. We work on a contingency basis, which means we only get paid if your case is successful.
Get a free case evaluation today to see if we can help with your case.
When should I contact a nursing home abuse lawyer?
If you or your loved one experienced abuse or neglect in a nursing home or long-term care facility, it’s best to contact a nursing home abuse lawyer as soon as possible.
There are state laws called statutes of limitations that limit how long you have to take legal action over institutional elder abuse. By working with a lawyer, you can get help navigating the legal process within these deadlines.
Do I need a lawyer for a nursing home abuse case?
Without the help of an attorney experienced in elder law, filing a nursing home negligence and abuse lawsuit can feel like an uphill battle, especially when you may have so much else going on, like finding a new nursing home for your loved one.
When you work with a national nursing home abuse law firm like Sokolove Law, we can handle the entirety of the legal process on your behalf, so you can focus on getting your loved one the care they deserve.
Contact us today to learn more about how we may be able to help with your case.
Will I be able to reach my nursing home abuse attorneys when needed?
Yes — when you work with Sokolove Law, a member of your legal team can answer any questions you may have during the process and keep you updated on your case every step of the way.
Fill out our contact form today to learn more about how we may be able to help with your case.
How can I find a nursing home abuse lawyer near me?
As a national nursing home abuse law firm, attorneys with Sokolove Law are able to help victims of elder abuse and their family members across the country seek the justice and compensation they deserve.
Regardless of where you’re located in the United States, we may be able to help with your case. Get a free consultation today to learn more.