Birth injury lawyers help families seek financial compensation for the injured victims of medical negligence or malpractice. Birth injuries are preventable physical injuries to newborn babies that occur during pregnancy, labor and delivery, or shortly after birth. If you believe your child suffered a birth injury, you may be entitled to compensation.
Why Work With a Birth Injury Lawyer?
The birth of a child should be the happiest moment of your life. Unfortunately, if a medical mistake occurs before, during, or after the birthing or delivery process, your child may be left with potentially life-altering injuries.
Many birth injuries are preventable and caused by improper or negligent medical care by health care professionals or medical experts. But getting answers from medical practitioners or institutions can prove difficult without the help of a lawyer.
An experienced birth injury attorney can help work through the red tape to help determine the origin of your child’s birth injury as well as what your legal options may be in a medical malpractice case.
If you suspect this may have happened to your child, a birth injury lawyer may be able to help you file a birth injury claim to secure compensation to cover your medical bills and more. Get a free case review today to learn more about your potential legal options.
How Can Lawyers Help With Birth Injuries?
We know this is a difficult time for you and your family. That’s why birth injury lawyers strive to make filing a claim as accessible and stress-free as possible by handling the legal process on your behalf.
While every case is different, your birth-related injury attorney and legal team generally can help:
- Evaluate your eligibility to take legal action after a free case review
- Determine the cause of a birth injury by examining the circumstances and procedures of the birth to establish the possibility and responsibility of preventable injuries
- Gather evidence from medical records and experts to build your case and show that your health care provider failed to provide the proper standard of care
- File the birth injury lawsuit on your behalf within the statute of limitations or deadline to take action
- Negotiate a birth injury lawsuit settlement with the defendant before going to court
- Try your case in court before a judge and jury if a settlement is not reached
Learn More About Your Options
If you believe your child’s birth injury was the result of a medical mistake, an experienced birth injury lawyer can help you understand your legal options.
What to Look for in a Birth Injury Attorney
Choosing an attorney with the experience, resources, and reach necessary to handle complex birth injury medical malpractice cases can be difficult if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
To find an attorney who’s able handle your case, be sure to look for a birth injury law firm that can offer:
- Free Consultations for Cases: The best way to tell if you may be eligible to file a birth injury lawsuit is to get a free, no-obligation legal review of your case.
- A Nationwide Reach: Sokolove Law is a national law firm, so our birth injury attorneys can help clients all across the country.
- Decades of Legal Experience: Sokolove Law has been helping clients pursue compensation for their injuries for over 40 years.
- A Proven Track Record of Success: Our lawyers have recovered over $717 Million on behalf of families affected by birth injuries.
- Registered Nurses on Staff: We have registered nurses with decades of labor and delivery experience who can listen to your story, answer your questions, and help you understand what may have happened in your case.
Questions to Ask a Childbirth Injury Lawyer
To find the best childbirth injury attorney for your case, you should make sure they have the skills and experience needed to handle a complicated birth injury lawsuit.
Be sure to ask your potential birth-related injury attorney:
- Are you able to take cases in my city and state?
- Have you had success with birth injury medical malpractice cases in the past?
- Do you have experience negotiating birth injury settlements as well as litigating cases?
- Will I be able to get in touch with you when I need to?
- How long have you been handling birth injury cases?
Find a Birth Injury Lawyer Near You
You are your child’s best advocate. The implications of a birth injury on you, your child, and your family can be overwhelming — but you may be entitled to compensation that can help cover your child’s medical expenses and more.
As a national birth injury law firm, experienced attorneys working with Sokolove Law may be able to help determine whether your child suffered a preventable birth injury and hold the responsible party accountable for your child’s injuries. In doing so, you may be able to prevent other families from experiencing what yours has gone through.
Birth Injury Lawyers FAQs
What does a childbirth injury lawyer do?
When you work with Sokolove Law, your childbirth injury lawyer handles every step of the legal process on your behalf, from collecting the evidence in your case to filing your birth injury claim in court. Get a free case review today to learn more about how we may be able to help.
What types of birth injuries can a birth lawyer help with?
A birth lawyer can help in cases when the injury before, during, or after birth that caused your child’s condition could have been prevented with proper medical care. If a health care professional made a medical error, you may be entitled to compensation for your child’s injuries.
Common conditions resulting from birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Infant brain damage
- Nerve damage
- Erb’s palsy (also called brachial plexus palsy)
- Skull fractures or other bone damage (like to the spinal cord)
These kinds of birth injuries can often be caused by:
- Birth trauma
- Brain injuries, like swelling or hemorrhaging
- Failing to receive a cesarean section (C-section) in time
- Fetal distress
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors
- Lack of oxygen (hypoxia) or oxygen deprivation, often caused by umbilical cord strangulation
- Shoulder dystocia (when the baby’s shoulders get stuck in the birth canal)
When should I contact a birth injury lawyer?
You should reach out to an experienced birth injury lawyer as soon as possible, even if you don’t have an official diagnosis from a medical expert yet. Because of laws called statutes of limitations, you only have a limited amount of time to take legal action in birth injury cases. These deadlines vary from state to state, which can make it difficult to figure out on your own.
If you suspect something may have happened before, during, or after the birth of your child that contributed to their condition, Sokolove Law has registered nurses with decades of labor and delivery experience on staff who can listen to your story and help you understand what may have caused your child’s birth injury.
How much do the best birth lawyers cost?
When you work with Sokolove Law, there aren’t any upfront fees. Your birth lawyer will work on a contingency basis, which means we only get paid if you do.
How do I find birth injury attorneys near me?
Thankfully, finding birth injury attorneys near you can be as simple as contacting a national law firm like Sokolove Law. We work with lawyers all across the country, so you can get experienced legal help wherever you may be. Get a free case review today to see what your legal options may be.
Will my physician get in trouble?
It’s understandable to be concerned about getting your physician, obstetrician, or health care provider in trouble by taking the next step and contacting us. We take each and every inquiry we receive very seriously. Significant research and evaluation goes into each case before the decision to file a lawsuit is made.
The initial steps are focused on information gathering, reviewing and getting expert opinions on the case. Fill out the form on this page to get started on this process today.