Birth injuries are physical injuries a child may suffer before, during, or shortly after being born. Sadly, these injuries are often caused by a mistake or error by a doctor or health care professional, which is known as medical malpractice.
If you believe your child suffered a potentially preventable birth injury, call (800) 995-1212 or get a free legal case review today. You may be entitled to compensation that we can fight for on your behalf.
Why Work with a Birth Injury Lawyer?
The birth of a child should be the happiest moment of your life. Unfortunately, if a medical mistake occurs during pregnancy or the labor and delivery process, your child may be left with potentially life-altering injuries.
Many birth injuries are preventable and caused by improper or negligent medical care by health care professionals or medical experts. But getting answers from medical practitioners or institutions can prove difficult without the help of a lawyer.
An experienced birth injury attorney may be able to work through the red tape to help determine the origin of your child's birth injury and take care of the legal process on your behalf if you have a case.
By taking legal action, you may be able to secure compensation that can help pay for your child’s medical care and more.
Secure Birth Injury Compensation for Your Child’s Care
As a nationwide birth injury law firm, Sokolove Law has birth injury lawyers across the country who can help families seek the justice and compensation they deserve.
For over 40 years, we’ve worked hard to secure results on behalf of thousands of families nationwide. As of October 2023, we’ve recovered over $862 Million through birth injury claims.
Learn more about a few of our birth injury cases and the results our team secured below:
- $10.4 Million recovered by our birth injury lawyers in Pennsylvania for a child with cerebral palsy (CP)
- $8 Million awarded to our California birth injury lawyers for a child who suffered an injury from a vacuum-assisted delivery
- $7.8 Million recovered by our Florida birth injury lawyers for a child with CP
- $6 Million awarded to our birth injury lawyers in California for a child with CP
- $6 Million secured by our New York birth injury lawyers for a child with undetected jaundice
- $5.97 Million recovered by our Texas birth injury lawyers for a child who suffered oxygen deprivation at birth due to delayed medical care
- $5.1 Million secured by our birth injury lawyers in Texas for a child who suffered birth asphyxia
- $4.5 Million awarded to our Illinois birth injury lawyers for a child with Erb’s palsy
- Over $2 Million secured by our North Carolina birth injury lawyers for a child with brachial plexus palsy
- $4.15 Million recovered by our New Jersey birth injury lawyers for a child born in fetal distress
Let us put our decades of experience to work for you — at no out-of-pocket cost to you or your family. We only get paid if you do, so there’s no financial risk to taking legal action.
If you have a case, our birth injury lawyers can fight for the compensation your family deserves.
How Can Lawyers Help with Birth Injury Cases?
We know this is a difficult time for you and your family. That’s why our birth injury lawyers strive to make filing a claim as accessible and stress-free as possible by handling the legal process on your behalf.
While every case is different, your birth-related injury attorney and legal team generally can help:
- Evaluate your eligibility to take legal action after a free case review
- Determine the cause of a birth injury by examining the circumstances and procedures of the birth to establish the possibility and responsibility of preventable injuries
- Gather evidence from medical records and experts to build your case and show that your health care provider failed to provide the proper standard of care
- File the birth injury lawsuit on your behalf within the statute of limitations or deadline to take action
- Negotiate a birth injury lawsuit settlement with the defendant before going to court
- Try your case in court before a judge and jury if a settlement is not reached
“Our daughter's traumatic birth left us devastated. She suffered a brain bleed and spent months in the NICU. Now, almost 4, she faces numerous issues, and I can't work as I need to care for her. Sokolove Law stepped in and helped us fight for justice. With their help, we can breathe a little easier, knowing our daughter's needs will be met.”
– Sokolove Law Birth Injury Client
What to Look for in a Birth Injury Attorney
Choosing an attorney with the experience, resources, and reach necessary to handle complex birth injury medical malpractice cases can be difficult if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
To find the right attorney for your birth injury case, be sure to look for a law firm that can offer you:
- Free Consultations for Cases: The best way to tell if you may be eligible to file a birth injury lawsuit is to get a free, no-obligation legal review of your case.
- A Nationwide Reach: Sokolove Law is a national law firm, so our birth injury attorneys can help clients all across the country.
- Decades of Legal Experience: Sokolove Law has been helping clients pursue compensation for their injuries for over 40 years.
- A Proven Track Record of Success: Our attorneys have recovered over $862 Million on behalf of families affected by birth injuries.
- Registered Nurses on Staff: We have registered nurses with decades of labor and delivery experience who can listen to your story, answer your questions, and help you understand what may have happened in your case.
"I'm here to listen and use my medical training and experience to help identify things that may have gone wrong during birth.”
– Kristin Proctor, Registered Nurse with Sokolove Law
- Determine if malpractice took place
- Find out about treatment options
- See if you qualify for compensation
Questions to Ask a Birth Lawyer
To find the best birth injury lawyer for your case, you should make sure they have the skills and experience needed to handle a complicated birth injury lawsuit.
Be sure to ask your potential birth-related injury attorney:
- Are you able to take cases in my city and state?
- Have you had success with birth injury medical malpractice cases in the past?
- Do you have experience negotiating birth injury settlements as well as litigating cases?
- Will I be able to get in touch with you when I need to?
- How long have you been handling birth injury cases?
Find a Birth Injury Attorney Near You
You are your child’s best advocate. The effects of a birth injury on you, your child, and your family can be overwhelming — but you may be entitled to compensation that can help cover your child’s medical expenses and more.
At Sokolove Law, our birth injury attorneys may be able to help you seek justice and hold the responsible party accountable for your child’s injuries. By doing so, you may be able to prevent other families from experiencing the same pain.
If you suspect that your child may have suffered a birth injury as a result of a medical error, don't hesitate — reach out to Sokolove Law today.
Sokolove Law has registered nurses on staff who can listen to your story and help you understand what may have happened.
Birth Injuries Lawyer FAQs
What are common birth injuries?
Conditions that are commonly caused by birth injuries include:
- Bleeding in the brain
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy (also called brachial plexus palsy)
- Forceps or vacuum extractor-related injuries
- Infant brain damage
- Kernicterus (brain damage caused by untreated jaundice)
- Lack of oxygen
- Necrotizing enterocolitis
- Nerve damage
- Skull fractures or other bone damage (like to the spinal cord)
- Spinal cord injuries
Note: These are only a few of the most common birth injuries. Sadly, there are many more.
If you believe your child suffered a preventable injury before, during, or after their delivery, contact Sokolove Law today for a free review of your case.
Our team of registered nurses can help determine if medical malpractice may have played a role in your child’s injury — and if you may be able to take legal action as a result.
What does a childbirth injury lawyer do?
When you work with Sokolove Law, your childbirth injury lawyer handles every step of the legal process on your behalf, from collecting the evidence of malpractice in your case to filing your birth injury claim in court.
Get a free case review today to learn more about how we may be able to help.
What kind of birth injury cases can a lawyer help with?
A birth lawyer can help in cases when your child suffers an injury before, during, or after their birth that could have been prevented with proper medical care. As a result, these injuries are often considered to be medical malpractice or negligence.
If a health care professional’s medical error caused your child’s injuries, you may be entitled to compensation that can help pay for their medical care.
These types of birth injuries can often be caused by:
- Birth trauma
- Brain injuries or damage (like bleeding, swelling, or hemorrhaging)
- Failing to receive a cesarean section (C-section) in time
- Fetal distress
- Improper use of forceps or vacuum extractors
- Lack of oxygen (hypoxia) or oxygen deprivation, often caused by umbilical cord strangulation
- Shoulder dystocia (when the baby’s shoulders get stuck in the birth canal)
- Untreated jaundice
- Using force to free the baby from the mother’s womb if stuck
During a free case review, our team can gather information about the delivery process that will help us determine if medical negligence or malpractice may have played a role in your child’s condition.
When should I contact a birth injury attorney?
You should reach out to an experienced birth injury attorney as soon as possible, even if you don’t have an official diagnosis from a medical expert yet.
Because of laws called statutes of limitations, you only have a limited amount of time to take legal action in birth injury cases. These deadlines vary from state to state, which can make it difficult to figure out on your own.
If you suspect something may have happened before, during, or after the birth of your child that contributed to their condition, contact Sokolove Law.
We have a team of registered nurses with decades of labor and delivery experience on staff who can listen to your story and help you understand what may have caused your child’s birth injury.
How much do the best birth injury lawyers cost?
When you work with Sokolove Law, there aren’t any upfront fees or out-of-pocket costs. Your birth lawyers will work on a contingency basis, which means we only get paid if you do.
How do I find birth injury attorneys near me?
Thankfully, finding birth injury attorneys near you can be as simple as contacting a national law firm like Sokolove Law.
We work with attorneys all across the country, so you can get experienced legal help wherever you may be — at no out-of-pocket cost to your family.
Will my physician get in trouble?
It’s understandable to be concerned about getting your physician, obstetrician, or health care provider in trouble by taking the next step and contacting us.
We take each and every inquiry we receive very seriously. Significant research and evaluation goes into each case before the decision to file a lawsuit is made.
The initial steps are focused on information gathering, reviewing medical records, and getting expert opinions on the case. Fill out the form on this page to get started today.