Rhode Island Medical Malpractice & Negligence
Unfortunately, medical malpractice is the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. Over 250,000 people in the U.S. die each year from preventable medical mistakes, according to Johns Hopkins Medicine.
A medical error can be caused by inadequate skills, lack of experience, administrative mistakes, or general negligence. Regardless of the cause, patients should not have to suffer at the hands of a trusted health care professional.
If you or a loved one suffered an injury as a result of medical negligence, you may be able to seek justice and compensation from a malpractice lawsuit in Rhode Island.
When filing a claim, your medical malpractice lawyer in Rhode Island must prove the:
- Medical professional or facility failed to provide care that met accepted standards
- Failure was a direct result of negligence or omission
- Omission or negligence caused harm to the patient
For over 40 years, Sokolove Law has fought to help injured patients get the justice they deserve by leveling the playing field between patients and large hospitals.
Call (800) 995-1212 now to see if you may be eligible for compensation.
Common Medical Malpractice Claims in Rhode Island
Medical malpractice can lead to life-altering injuries. In severe cases, these mistakes may be fatal.
If you or a loved one was harmed by a health care provider’s errors, our medical malpractice attorneys in Rhode Island are prepared to help you take action and pursue justice.
Birth injuries result when critical medical mistakes made before, during, or after labor and delivery cause the child to be harmed in some way.
Sadly, some birth injuries will affect the infant for the rest of their lives and long into adulthood. Because of this, birth injury malpractice lawsuits often call for some of the highest settlements.
Common birth injuries caused by medical malpractice can include:
- Asphyxia (lack of oxygen to the brain during birth)
- Brachial plexus injury
- Brain damage
- Cephalohematoma (accumulation of blood above the skull but under the scalp)
- Cerebral palsy (CP)
- Erb’s palsy
- Fetal distress
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Kernicterus from untreated jaundice
- Skull or bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
Our Rhode Island birth injury attorneys have helped many families impacted by birth injuries, and our firm has recovered over $862 Million for injured children nationwide.
Emergency Room Mistakes
Emergency rooms are often fast-paced, bustling environments. The adrenaline and high stakes associated with a medical emergency may result in mistakes on the part of those working, like:
- Discharging a patient too early
- Interpreting test results incorrectly
- Failing to provide follow-up care when needed
Emergency room errors can have life-altering consequences. Whether it's a misdiagnosis, delayed treatment, or surgical mistake, our legal team has the knowledge and resources to build a strong case on your behalf.
Failure to Diagnose
When health care professionals fail to diagnose a medical condition promptly make an incorrect diagnosis, it can lead to significant harm and even death.
Delaying the correct diagnosis for a patient may cause:
- Certain treatment options to become unavailable
- Diseases like cancer to spread throughout the body
- Symptoms or injuries to worsen
- Life-threatening complications
- Prolonged suffering
Aneurysms, strokes, and infections are just a few of the conditions that are often misdiagnosed. Even if a doctor makes an accurate diagnosis, their actions may be considered negligent if they fail to prescribe adequate or correct medical treatments.
Our Rhode Island failure to diagnose lawyers can help you take legal action and hold the negligent medical professional accountable for their mistakes.
Infections acquired during a hospital stay can result from negligence or inadequate infection control practices.
There are strict protocols in place to help hospitals avoid the spread of infections. Regardless of this, 1 in 10 hospital patients will get a health care-associated infection (HAI).
Some common HAIs include:
- Clostridium difficile or C. diff infections
- Gastrointestinal conditions
- Sepsis or bloodstream infections
- Surgical site infections
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs) from the use of catheters
Since protective measures should have been in place to prevent these infections, you may be able to hold the hospital or health care provider responsible for your infections accountable.
Prescription Drug Errors
Prescription drug errors occur when a medical professional fails to accurately prescribe, administer, or monitor medication.
Patients may suffer severe harm if a doctor prescribes the wrong medication or the correct medication in the wrong dosage.
Prescription drug errors can lead to various health consequences, including:
- Adverse drug reactions
- Drug dependence or substance abuse
- Prolonged recovery
- Worsened medical conditions
Surgeons often work extremely long hours. Sometimes, they may make careless errors that can impact the rest of a patient’s life.
Examples of common surgical errors include:
- Damage to internal organs
- Improper management of post-operative complications
- Plastic surgery mistakes
- Surgical tools left inside the body
- Wrong-patient surgery
- Wrong-site surgery (like removing the left lung when cancer was in the right lung instead)
Surgical errors can lead to serious complications and long-term consequences. Our team has the experience necessary to navigate complex surgical malpractice cases and fight for justice on your behalf.
How to File a Rhode Island Medical Malpractice Lawsuit
Filing a medical malpractice lawsuit may allow you to hold medical professionals accountable for their negligence and prevent other patients from suffering a similar fate.
Compensation from a lawsuit can also help you pay for medical bills and other expenses.
If you have a case, our Rhode Island medical malpractice lawyers will handle every step of the legal process for you, so you can focus on your health and well-being.
1. Contact Sokolove Law
At Sokolove Law, we provide free case reviews to determine if you may be eligible to file a Rhode Island malpractice claim.
During this time, we’ll ask you a few questions about what’s going on, so we can better understand the specifics of your situation.
2. We’ll Gather Evidence of Malpractice
If you have a case, we’ll collect medical records, testimonies from experts, test results, and anything else needed to show that your injury was the result of a medical professional’s wrongdoing.
We also have a team of registered nurses on staff that can help make sense of what may have happened.
3. We'll File Your Rhode Island Medical Malpractice Claim
Your Rhode Island medical malpractice must be filed within the statute of limitations, which are state laws that restrict how long you have to take legal action.
Once this deadlines pass, you won’t be able to file a claim or pursue compensation for your injury ever again.
Call (800) 995-1212 as soon as possible to ensure that your claim is filed on time.
4. We'll Negotiate Medical Malpractice Settlements
Our attorneys will negotiate a Rhode Island medical malpractice settlement with the defendant(s), which may include the:
- Hospital where you were injured
- Medical professionals responsible for your suffering
- Insurance companies
The majority of cases end in a medical malpractice settlement, which means you may not have to step foot in court to secure compensation.
If a settlement is unable to be reached, our malpractice lawyers are prepared to present your case in a trial and fight for a verdict on your behalf.
Our Past Rhode Island Medical Malpractice Settlements
At Sokolove Law, we’ve recovered over $9.1 Billion for our clients across the country, including families affected by malpractice or negligence in Rhode Island.
Some of our past Rhode Island medical malpractice settlements and verdicts include:
- $4 Million for a Providence man who lost his wife because the doctors took too long to order a C-section
- $3.9 Million for an East Providence mother whose daughter has cerebral palsy after being hurt during delivery
- $3.5 Million for a Cumberland patient who received the wrong diagnosis
- $3.1 Million for a woman in Woonsocket with a misdiagnosis
- $1.5 Million for a North Kingstown woman who suffered a stroke days after her symptoms were dismissed as being a pinched nerve
- $1.1 Million for a mother in Riverside whose son is blind and has CP
- $2.2 Million for a Woonsocket mother whose child was injured by malpractice
- $1 Million for a North Smithfield man whose carcinoid tumors weren’t diagnosed before metastasizing
- $1 Million for a Providence mother whose child was injured during a difficult delivery
Rhode Island is one of the few states with no cap on the amount of compensation you can receive from a malpractice lawsuit.
While medical malpractice settlement amounts depend on various factors, our Rhode Island medical malpractice lawyers will fight for the most compensation possible in your case.
Get the Help You Deserve
Let our Rhode Island medical malpractice attorneys put their decades of experience to work for you. Take the first steps toward justice now.
Let Our Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Rhode Island Fight for You
At Sokolove Law, our Rhode Island medical malpractice attorneys have decades of experience fighting for justice on behalf of families impacted by negligent medical professionals.
We have the resources necessary to stand up to large health care facilities and make sure your voice is heard. Our medical malpractice lawyers in Rhode Island are committed to providing you with the personal attention your case deserves.
Our team has secured over $9.1 Billion for families across the country — and there are no upfront or hourly fees to work with us.
Let us fight for compensation on your behalf. Call (800) 995-1212 now or fill out our contact form for a free case review.
Our Rhode Island Office Location
265 George Washington Highway
Smithfield, RI 02917
Medical Malpractice Attorney in Rhode Island FAQs
What is considered medical malpractice in Rhode Island?
Medical malpractice refers to the failure of a health care professional or provider to meet the accepted standard of care, resulting in harm or injury to a patient.
Examples of medical malpractice may include:
If you believe you’ve been a victim of malpractice, contact our team now to find out if a medical malpractice lawyer in Rhode Island can fight for compensation on your behalf.
What factors impact a Rhode Island medical malpractice settlement?
Several factors influence Rhode Island malpractice settlement amounts, including the:
- Severity of the injury: Patients who suffer permanent injuries, like those that result in limited mobility or brain damage, may receive higher payouts.
- Recovery period: If your recovery will take a long time and require additional care or time away from work, then your potential settlement may be larger to account for these expenses and lost wages.
- Medical costs: The more costly it is to treat your injuries caused by medical negligence, the higher the settlement amount will likely be.
Call (800) 995-1212 now to see if we can help you pursue compensation for your injuries. It costs nothing to speak with us.
How much does a Rhode Island medical malpractice attorney charge?
At Sokolove Law, there are no upfront costs or hourly fees to work with our Rhode Island medical malpractice attorneys.
We work on a contingency-fee basis, which means we only get paid if your case results in compensation.
What is the statute of limitations for medical malpractice in Rhode Island?
Potentially as few as 3 years after the date of the injury, diagnosis, or death. Due to the Rhode Island medical malpractice statute of limitations, you only have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit for your injuries.
Once this deadline passes, you won’t be able to sue for your injuries again.
Don’t miss out on the money you deserve. Get a free case review now to see if you may be eligible to take legal action.
Sokolove Law Affiliations and Recognition
Our Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Justice
- Rhode Island State Bar Association
- National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- U.S. News & World Report - 2022 Best Law Firms / Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell - 2022 Peer-Reviewed for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
Sokolove Law Local Reviews
- Better Business Bureau® (BBB): A+ Rating since 2013
- Average Google Rating: 4.6/5
Local Rhode Island Areas We Serve
While Sokolove Law helps people throughout the country, we provide our services to people across the entire state of Rhode Island as well.
Sokolove Law serves locations across Rhode Island, including:
- Central Falls
- East Greenwich
- East Providence
- Little Compton
- New Shoreham
- North Kingstown
- North Providence
- North Smithfield
- South Kingstown
- West Greenwich
- West Warwick
- And more
Rhode Island Zip Codes We Serve
As a national law firm, Sokolove Law can help families wherever they may be in the U.S., including across the state of Rhode Island.
Some of the zip codes we serve in Rhode Island include: