HIV drugs like Truvada® are used to prevent and treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Unfortunately, the active ingredient in these drugs caused some patients to experience serious side effects, including bone density loss, kidney injuries, and more.
If you experienced serious side effects after using Truvada or other HIV medications, you may be entitled to financial compensation.
TDF Drug Health Risks
Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF), a key ingredient of Truvada and other HIV PrEP and treatment medications, has been linked to a variety of minor side effects as well as more serious, potentially life-threatening health issues that can affect:
- Bone density and strength
- Kidney function
While the link to these health conditions isn’t fully understood at this time, some studies suggest that TDF’s effect on bone density may be related to its impact on renal or kidney function.
“Clinical observations have revealed a strong correlation between loss of bone density in HIV-infected individuals, particularly in conjunction with the antiretroviral drug tenofovir…The loss of bone density due to TDF exposure could also be associated with tenofovir-induced renal dysfunction.”
– Dove Medical Press Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management
Truvada Side Effects
TDF-based HIV drugs like Truvada can potentially cause a range of serious side effects and health issues, including:
- Acute kidney injury (AKI)
- Bone fractures
- Bone mineral density loss
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- End-stage renal disease (ESRD)
- Fanconi syndrome, which can cause kidney damage and bone loss
- Kidney or renal failure
- Osteoporosis, which can increase the user’s risk of suffering broken bones
- Renal insufficiency/impairment
- Tooth loss
If you or a loved one took an HIV drug containing TDF and suffered from kidney injuries or bone problems, you may be entitled to compensation from a Truvada side effects lawsuit. Reach out to a Truvada lawyer with Sokolove Law to see if you can take legal action.
What Is Truvada?
For the more than 1 million Americans living with HIV, drugs like Truvada once seemed like a breakthrough solution: an HIV antiretroviral drug that could both treat and prevent the life-threatening infection.
Manufactured, marketed, and sold by leading drug maker Gilead Sciences, Inc., Truvada and similar medications are once-daily, oral prescription medicines for adults that combine two types of HIV drugs: tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) and emtricitabine (FTC).
The combination of TDF and FTC is designed to:
- Treat HIV by blocking an enzyme that stops the infection from multiplying
- Reduce the risk of contracting HIV as part of “pre-exposure prophylaxis” (or PrEP), a relatively new tool for HIV prevention
Truvada was first approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as an HIV treatment in 2004. Gilead later sought FDA approval for PrEP use, which it secured in 2012.
Which Gilead HIV Drugs Contain TDF?
Truvada is one of five Gilead HIV drugs that contain tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF).
Other Gilead HIV drugs that utilize TDF include:
However, TDF may put those who take Truvada and other HIV drugs at risk of developing issues affecting their bone strength or kidney function.
Learn More About Your Options
If you took a TDF-based HIV medication like Truvada and experienced bone or kidney side effects, an experienced attorney with Sokolove Law can help you understand your legal options.
TDF Truvada Lawsuit Update 2022
Since May 2018, numerous TDF drug users have filed Truvada lawsuits seeking financial compensation over the injuries they experienced. Many of these Truvada cases are pending in court — but you still have time to get involved and take action over your injuries.
If you experienced bone or kidney issues after taking a TDF drug, reach out to a Truvada attorney with Sokolove Law to learn whether you may have a case.
Truvada Lawsuit Claims
Truvada class action lawsuits allege that Gilead:
- Knew before going to market that TDF could be unreasonably and unnecessarily toxic to a patient’s kidneys and bones
- Withheld the safer drug alternative of tenofovir alafenamide (TAF) or Descovy® for more than a decade to make more money off of their TDF drugs, even as patients began reporting severe side effects
- Failed to adequately warn physicians and consumers about the safe use of TDF drugs, including the need to monitor patients for these side effects
Who Can File a Truvada Side Effects Lawsuit?
You may be eligible to file a Truvada side effects lawsuit if you or your loved one:
- Took one of these Gilead HIV drugs: Truvada, Atripla, Complera, Stribild, or Viread
- Experienced bone problems or kidney damage as a result
How to File a Truvada Lawsuit
Filing a Truvada lawsuit may seem like a lot, especially when you’re grappling with the side effects of a medication you thought would keep you safe. But the legal process doesn’t have to be a stressful experience.
When you work with a skilled team of HIV drug lawyers, you just may be surprised by how little you actually have to do.
In general, your Truvada lawsuit lawyers and legal team will:
- Determine if you have a case during a free legal consultation
- Gather all of the evidence needed to build a strong case, meeting with you in person wherever it’s convenient for you or talking via phone call or video conference
- File the Gilead TDF lawsuit on your behalf
- Pursue compensation in the form of a Truvada settlement or jury verdict
- Go to court if your Truvada case doesn’t settle
Truvada Lawsuit Settlement Amounts and Verdicts
When an attorney pursues Truvada compensation on your behalf, if your case is successful, compensation can potentially be awarded in one of two forms:
- Truvada Settlements: In general, a Truvada lawsuit settlement could be reached if the defendant and plaintiff agree on terms to resolve the legal claim.
- Truvada Jury Verdict: If a Truvada settlement isn’t reached, a potential case may continue to court, where a judge and jury will hear the case and decide the outcome in a verdict.
Sokolove Law strives to make the legal process as accessible and stress-free as possible — at no upfront cost to our clients. We’ve helped thousands of families in all 50 states over the past 40 years.
Get the Help You Deserve
You may be eligible for compensation. We may be able to help.
What to Look for in Truvada Lawyers
Filing an HIV medicine lawsuit can be a difficult process without the support of an experienced legal team — but not all Truvada lawyers can offer you the same advantages. That’s why it’s so important to work with a law firm that has the resources to have your back.
Here’s what you should look for when choosing a Truvada lawyer:
- Free Case Evaluations: Sokolove Law offers free, no-obligation legal consultations, so you can see if you may be able to take legal action, absolutely free of charge.
- Decades of Experience: We’re not new on the scene. We’ve been committed to serving our clients for more than 40 years.
- Nationwide Legal Representation: We have represented clients in all 50 states and have offices in nearly every state.
- A History of Success: Many law firms file a successful lawsuit from time to time, but you want to work with someone who has been successful for a while now. We’ve successfully recovered over $1.5 Billion for our clients affected by dangerous drugs and medical devices.
- No Upfront Fees: Our Truvada lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning we’ll only get paid if you do.
If you’ve experienced serious side effects after using HIV drugs like Truvada, our team may be able to help you pursue financial compensation through a Truvada side effects lawsuit.
Get Help Pursuing Truvada Compensation
According to Truvada lawsuits, Gilead was allegedly reluctant to hurt sales by admitting its TDF-based products were unreasonably and unnecessarily dangerous. By withholding that fact, as well as a safer alternative drug, Gilead could stand to make billions.
Pharmaceutical companies should never be allowed to exploit American people — especially those suffering from a life-threatening infection. That’s why Truvada attorneys with Sokolove Law stand firm with HIV patients to recoup the money and quality of life they lost after putting their faith in TDF drugs.
Will you stand with us to hold Gilead accountable? If you have taken a TDF drug and suffered any of the side effects above, you may be entitled to compensation with the help of a Truvada law firm.
Call (800) 995-1212 or get a free legal case review today to learn more about your options. There is no cost to speak with us, and a member of our team is available 24/7 to discuss your potential Truvada lawsuit claim.
Note: Do not change medications without first consulting your doctor.
Truvada, Viread, Atripla, Complera, and Stribild are trademarks of Gilead Sciences, Inc.
HIV Medicine Lawsuit FAQs
What are the long-term side effects of HIV medication?
There are currently five PrEP HIV medications — Truvada, Complera, Atripla, Stribild, and Viread — with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF), which has been linked to many severe side effects.
A few of the most severe TDF-related HIV medication side effects include:
- Bone fragility and fracture risk
- Renal or kidney issues
- Tooth loosening or loss
If you’ve experienced PrEP HIV side effects like these, you may be eligible to file a Gilead TDF lawsuit. Fill out the form on this page today to get a free legal review of your case.
Why should I file a Truvada side effects lawsuit?
When a pharmaceutical is made available to the population, it should be safe to use. Truvada and other HIV medications (like Atripla, Complera, Stribild, and Viread) were not. Worse, the drug manufacturer may have even withheld a safer alternative. Now people are suffering as a result.
Filing a Truvada lawsuit might help you to:
- Hold drug companies accountable for their negligence and your illness
- Pursue Truvada compensation for medical expenses or treatment
- Raise awareness of the HIV drug’s side effects and prevent others from being hurt too
If you or a loved one took Truvada and experienced bone or kidney problems, Sokolove Law might be able to help you. Get a free legal evaluation for your case by filling out the form on this page.
How long do I have to file a Truvada lawsuit?
For Truvada lawsuits, the statute of limitations (or the time you have to file a lawsuit) depends on the state you live in. If you miss the deadline for filing a Truvada PrEP lawsuit, you won’t have the opportunity to do so again.
Don’t miss your chance to hold the company that harmed you accountable. If you took Truvada and suffered bone or kidney injuries, fill out the form on this page today to learn more about your legal options.
Do I need to hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit against Truvada?
Filing a lawsuit against a large pharmaceutical company without legal representation is not advisable. Truvada lawsuit lawyers with Sokolove Law may be able to handle every step of the legal process, from finding the evidence to filing the paperwork — at no out-of-pocket cost to you. Learn more about your legal options today.
How much does a Truvada lawsuit lawyer cost?
Hiring a lawyer for a Truvada lawsuit shouldn’t cost you anything upfront. At Sokolove Law, our experienced Truvada lawsuit attorneys work on a contingency basis, so there are no initial fees or hourly rates. We’ll only get paid if you do.
Is there a class action lawsuit against Truvada?
While Gilead Sciences, Inc. may be named in class actions lawsuits regarding Truvada, typically cases involving physical injuries (such as kidney problems and bone loss) are handled individually.
Why do my kidneys hurt when I breathe?
If you experience kidney pain when breathing, schedule a visit with your doctor to determine the cause of these symptoms. While it could be something as simple as kidney stones, it may also be indicative of something more serious.
If you’ve taken HIV medications like Truvada and are suffering from kidney-related side effects, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit to receive financial compensation.
Is there a link between Truvada and kidney problems?
Yes, Truvada and other TDF-based HIV treatment and PrEP drugs have been linked to impaired kidney function, though the exact nature of this link isn’t known at this time.
If you took Truvada or another TDF-based HIV drug, you may be able to take legal action. Contact Sokolove Law today to learn more.
Does Truvada cause kidney damage?
Potentially, yes — Truvada contains TDF, which has been linked to several kidney-related health issues as well as a loss of bone density. If you or your loved one took Truvada and experienced kidney injuries as a result, you may be eligible to file a Truvada lawsuit. Learn more about your potential legal options today.
How much is a Truvada lawsuit worth?
As of November 2021, there have been no Truvada lawsuit settlements or verdicts because litigation is still pending.
With that being said, there are a variety of factors that can influence how much a Truvada case may be worth, which makes determining potential Truvada lawsuit settlement amounts particularly difficult to do.
To learn more about pursuing a potential Truvada lawsuit payout, contact Sokolove Law today.
What documents do I need to file an HIV medication lawsuit?
When you work with Sokolove Law, we can handle the legal process for you, which includes gathering all of the evidence and necessary documents like medical records for your potential case.
Who makes Truvada?
The maker of Truvada and several other TDF-containing HIV drugs is Gilead Sciences, Inc.