Medications In Pregnancy
While a physician’s prescription for an antidepressant medication may have helped you, it may have been problematic for the baby you carried while pregnant. Some antidepressants known as SSRI’s – selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors – are also teratogens. Teratogens are harmful substances to developing fetuses, which may cause birth defects. If you took an antidepressant medication shortly before or while you were pregnant (see the list of medications), your child may have been born with one of the birth defects listed below.
Antidepressant Birth Defects
The following birth defects have been linked to antidepressants taken during pregnancy:
- Heart and Lung Defects: If your child was born with a heart defect or underdeveloped or missing lungs, it may have been caused by the antidepressant you were taking during your pregnancy.
- Club Foot: Club foot is a general term used to describe unusual or abnormal positions of the foot. Club foot often occurs at birth, and may in some cases be considered a medication birth defect. If your child has club foot, doctors may treat it with a cast or by splinting it for a period of time.
- Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate: Cleft lip and cleft palate, also known as oral-facial clefts, are birth defects that occur when the tissues of the mouth don’t grow together as they should as the fetus develops in the womb. If your child has a cleft lip or palate, surgery during the first 12 to 18 months of life can usually correct the problem and improve his or her facial appearance.
- Spina Bifida: Spina bifida is an unfortunately common type of neural tube defect (NTD). If your child has spina bifida, it means that the spine didn’t close as it should during the early months of pregnancy. Spina bifida often results in nerve damage and some paralysis of the legs.
Medication Birth Defect Lawsuits
We are looking to help you file the any of the following types of birth defect lawsuits:
- Medication Heart and Lung Defect Lawsuits
- Medication Club Foot Lawsuits
- Medication Cleft Lip Lawsuits
- Medication Cleft Palate Lawsuits
- Medication Spina Bifida Lawsuits
- Other Medication Birth Defect Lawsuits
Medication Birth Defect Lawyers
If you believe your child’s antidepressant birth defect may have been caused by a medication you were taking, call our office today about filing an antidepressant birth defect lawsuit. You may be entitled to compensation – money that could help pay for your child’s special needs. We have medication birth defect lawyers who want to help you help your child.