Long term disability insurance is designed to protect you against unforeseen illness or injury that may leave you unable to work. If you have filed your disability insurance claim and received an unfavorable decision, Sokolove Law may be able to help you take legal action.
Why Do LTD Insurance Claims Get Denied?
While every case is unique, there are a number of common reasons insurance companies cite when denying long term disability benefits. Our long term disability insurance denial attorneys can help you understand these reasons and how to the take legal action necessary to defend your rights.
Common reasons insurance companies deny claims include:
- No Objective Findings: The claim reviewer may deny your claim on the grounds that although you may be experiencing disabling pain, there are no “objective findings” to substantiate the disability.
- Not Disabled From Your Occupation: A reviewer may deny your claim on the grounds that although your job may have unique, strenuous, or stressful requirements, the occupation as defined by the national economy generally does not have such requirements and, under those less demanding standards, you are not disabled.
- Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion: The disability insurance policy may contain up to a 12-month pre-existing condition waiting period.
- Failure to Fulfill the Elimination Period: Most policies have a requirement that a claimant be continuously disabled during an “elimination period” in order to be eligible for benefits.
- Not Under the Care of a Physician: Most policies require that you be under the “regular care’ of a physician. This is especially critical since you generally have to back up your claim with clear medical evidence.
Regardless of whether you are turned down by your insurance company, there are many medical conditions that may entitle you to long term disability compensation from your insurer. They include cancer, anxiety disorders, and various muscle, bone, and neurological ailments.
Some specific conditions include:
- Bipolar Disorder
- Crohn's Disease
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
It’s important to understand these conditions, as insurers may try to limit disability payments by classifying a disability as a mental health condition instead of a chronic disorder. You can choose to have a FREE, no-obligation long term disability denial legal consultation; our case managers are able to address any concerns you have and show you the next steps. Sign up for your FREE case evaluation or call us today.
Why Hire a Long Term Disability Insurance Attorney?
When confronted with the confusing long term disability insurance claims process, many consumers simply forego what may be owed to them because of the time and effort necessary for making the insurance company pay out. Don’t risk losing your appeal on a technicality or by not having the right information available.
Working with a long-term disability claims attorney to advise you and handle your claim gives you peace of mind, making the process easier on you during this difficult time.
Why Sokolove Law?
- For more than 40 years, Sokolove Law has helped people just like you get the legal support they need, regardless of race or income.
- Sokolove Law has helped people in all 50 states get the legal support they need to move successfully through our court system. We have helped thousands of people with their long term disability denial appeals.
- We provide a FREE case evaluation and you only pay us if you are successful in your appeal.