Common Birth Injuries in Worcester, MA
A birth injury refers to a physical injury that a child suffers before, during, or shortly after delivery.
While it’s difficult to find exact stats since many birth injury cases go undiagnosed, it’s estimated that 1 out of 143 babies will be injured at birth each year in the United States.
Birth injuries can vary in severity, with some healing shortly after birth, and others requiring a lifetime of care.
There are many different types of birth injuries, including:
- Cephalohematoma, when blood accumulates between the baby’s scalp and skull
- Cerebral palsy, a group of disorders that can affect a baby’s nervous system and brain
- Erb’s palsy, when the brachial plexus nerves near the shoulder are damaged
- Facial nerve injuries or paralysis
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), a lack of blood or oxygen to the brain
- Injuries to the brain or brain damage
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Skull and/or bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Untreated jaundice, which can lead to kernicterus, a form of brain damage from a buildup of bilirubin
If your child suffered a birth injury, it may have been caused by a medical professional’s error or their failure to properly respond to a situation.
We can help you determine if malpractice or negligence may have occurred. Call (800) 995-1212 now to learn more.
Examples of Medical Malpractice & Birth Injuries
Sadly, many birth injuries occur when a doctor or health care provider fails to follow accepted standards of care and causes a child harm as a result. This is known as medical malpractice.
There are many different causes of birth injuries, but many are unfortunately a result of preventable medical errors.
Medical mistakes that can result in birth injuries include not:
- Correctly using medical instruments like forceps or vacuum extractors during delivery
- Interpreting X-rays correctly
- Performing a necessary C-section
- Properly monitoring the baby during labor and delivery
- Responding to signs of fetal distress
At Sokolove Law, we have a team of registered nurses on staff with decades of labor and delivery experience. They can help parents understand if medical malpractice or negligence may be responsible for their child’s condition.
Want to Talk to a Nurse?
Get in touch with one of our registered nurses with extensive labor and delivery experience.
How a Birth Injury Lawyer in Worcester Can Help
As a national birth injury law firm, Sokolove Law has decades of experience helping parents across the country pursue compensation for the injuries their children suffered.
If you have a case, our lawyers will handle every step of the legal process for you, so you can focus on your family.
Our birth injury attorneys in Worcester can:
- Provide you with a free case review to determine if you have a case
- Investigate your child’s injury and gather evidence to prove it could have been prevented
- File your Worcester birth injury lawsuit within any state-specific deadlines
- Negotiate a birth injury settlement with the defendants (a doctor, hospital, insurance company, or other medical professional)
If a settlement is unable to be reached, we’re prepared to present your case in court before a judge and jury.
Let us handle the legal legwork for you. Call (800) 995-1212 or fill out our contact form today to get started.
Our Past Birth Injury Settlements in Massachusetts
At Sokolove Law, our birth injury attorneys have recovered over $834 Million in settlements and verdicts for families affected by birth injuries, including families in Worcester, MA.
Our past settlements and verdicts for birth injuries in Massachusetts include:
- $9.67 Million for a child who suffered injuries during a delayed delivery
- $5 Million for a child who suffered brain damage from a preventable injury
- $3.41 Million for a mother in Massachusetts whose daughter suffered an injury at birth
- $2 Million for a Massachusetts boy who suffered an injury at birth
- $1.75 Million for a mother whose twins suffered injuries at birth that led to cerebral palsy
Settlement and verdict amounts are determined by various factors, including the severity of a child’s birth injury, current and future medical expenses, and other related expenses.
While it's important to note there's no guarantee of compensation, our Worcester birth injury lawyers will fight for the most compensation possible in your case.
Get the Help Your Child Deserves
If you have a case, our birth injury lawyers can fight for the compensation your family deserves.
Get a Free Case Review
Let Our Worcester Birth Injury Lawyers Fight for Your Family
In 1979, Jim Sokolove founded Sokolove Law in Massachusetts. One of his goals was to help families of children with birth injuries get the justice and compensation they deserve, regardless of their background.
Our Worcester birth injury attorneys offer every client:
- Skills and knowledge built from over 40 years of experience
- A proven track record of success, with over $834 Million in results
- Registered nurses on staff who can answer any questions you may have
- No costs for legal services unless we secure compensation for you
Your family matters to us — and we are here to fight on your behalf. Call (800) 995-1212 now or fill out our contact form today for a free case review.
Here are some helpful topics on birth injuries:
Our Massachusetts Offices
44 School Street, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02108
1330 Boylston Street, Suite 400
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Worcester Birth Injury Attorneys FAQs
How much does a Worcester birth injury attorney charge?
At Sokolove Law, there are no hourly fees or out-of-pocket costs to work with our Worcester birth injury attorneys.
We work on a contingency-fee basis, which means we only get paid if your case results in compensation.
Call (800) 995-1212 now to see if you have a case. Our team is standing by to answer any questions you may have.
What are common birth injuries?
Common birth injuries in Worcester include:
- Brachial plexus injury
- Brain injuries
- Cerebral palsy (CP)
- Erb’s palsy
- Facial nerve injury or paralysis
- Fetal distress or lack of oxygen in the brain
- Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE)
- Injuries related to the use of forceps or vacuum extraction
- Intracranial hemorrhages
- Jaundice and kernicterus
- Nerve damage
- Skull fractures or bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Stillbirths and death
- Umbilical cord strangulation
Call (800) 995-1212 now to talk to our team. We can help you understand if malpractice may have played a role in your child's injury.
How long do I have to file a birth injury lawsuit in Worcester, MA?
You only have a limited amount of time to file a Worcester birth injury lawsuit due to unique laws in each state known as the statute of limitations.
Once this deadline passes, you won’t be able to sue for a birth injury again.
At Sokolove Law, we offer free, no-obligation case reviews to help clients understand their legal options. Fill out our contact form now to learn more.
Sokolove Law Affiliations & Recognition
Our Professional Affiliations
- American Association of Justice
- Massachusetts State Bar Association
- National Trial Lawyers - Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
- U.S. News & World Report - 2022 Best Law Firms / Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell - 2022 Peer-Reviewed for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability
Sokolove Law Local Reviews
- Better Business Bureau® (BBB) - A+ Rating since 2013
- Average Google Rating: 4.6/5
Local Service Areas
- Fall River
- New Bedford
- And more
Worcester Neighborhoods We Serve
- Beaver Brook
- Bell Hill
- Brittan Square
- Broadmeadow Brook
- Cambridge Street
- Canal District
- Central Worcester
- Cider Mill
- College Hill
- Columbus Park
- Crown Hill
- Downtown Worcester
- Elm Park
- Federal Square
- Forest Grove
- Grafton Hill
- Great Brook Valley
- Green Hill
- Green Island
- Hadwen Park
- Indian Hill
- Indian Lake East
- Lincoln Estate
- Lincoln Square
- Main South
- Mill Street
- Newton Square
- North Lincoln Street
- North Worcester
- Quinsigamond Village
- Salisbury Street
- South Worcester
- The Summit
- Union Hill
- University Park
- Vernon Hill
- Webster Square
- West Tatnuck
- Worcester Common
Worcester Zip Codes We Serve
List of Worcester Hospitals and Their Safety Grades
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade is a letter grade that scores hospitals based on how well they protect patients from errors, injuries, accidents, and infections.
When compared to an A-rated hospital, your chance of dying increases by 35% in a B-rated hospital and 88% in a C-rated hospital. This research was conducted at the Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality, Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- St. Vincent Hospital
123 Summer Street
Worcester, MA 01608
Hospital Safety Grade: C
- UMass Memorial Medical Center — Memorial Campus
119 Belmont Street
Worcester, MA 01605
Hospital Safety Grade: C
- UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus
55 Lake Avenue N.
Worcester, MA 01655
Hospital Safety Grade: C