First approved in 1998, montelukast is a prescription asthma and allergy medication marketed under the brand name Singulair®. Because of how Singulair works, however, it can cause serious neuropsychiatric injuries or mental health side effects, and the risk may be greater in children taking Singulair than adults.
FDA Warns of Singulair Mental Health Side Effects
In March 2020, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced it was strengthening existing warnings about the risk of neuropsychiatric events (or mental health side effects) associated with the prescription drug montelukast, which is sold under the brand name Singulair.
The FDA added its most prominent boxed warning to the drug label to both:
- Warn consumers of the neuropsychiatric side effects of Singulair
- Recommend that Singulair only be used to treat allergic rhinitis (hay fever) in patients who can not be effectively treated with other allergy medications
While the label had already included warnings about potential mental health side effects, many health care providers and patients alike were not aware of these risks because they were not displayed prominently.
What Is Singulair?
Available as tablets, chewable tablets, and oral granules, montelukast (Singulair) is a prescription medication approved to:
- Prevent asthma attacks in patients 1 year and older
- Be a long-term treatment option for asthma in adults and children 1 year and older
- Prevent exercise-induced asthma in patients 6 years and older
- Relieve symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis (or seasonal outdoor allergies) in patients 2 years of age and older
- Relieve symptoms of perennial allergic rhinitis (or year-round indoor allergies) in patients 6 months and older
- Help control symptoms of allergic rhinitis (or hay fever), such as sneezing, stuffy or runny nose, and nose itchiness
However, the use of Singulair has been linked to severe mental health side effects, ranging from anxiety and depression to suicidal thoughts and actions.
Singulair Side Effects
Montelukast (Singulair) has been linked to numerous neuropsychiatric events or mental health side effects, including:
- Agitation, aggressive behavior, and hostility
- Attention problems
- Bad or vivid dreams
- Disorientation or confusion
- Memory problems
- Obsessive-compulsive symptoms
- Suicidal thoughts and suicide
- Tics and tremors
- Uncontrolled muscle movements
If you or your loved one suffer from any of these side effects of montelukast (Singulair), you may be eligible to take legal action to pursue financial compensation.
Get the Help You Deserve
You may be eligible for compensation. We may be able to help.
Singulair Class Action Lawsuits
At least 14 Singulair lawsuits have been filed since August 2020, though several of these cases were voluntarily dismissed. As of 2021, 10 cases were filed and are pending in New Jersey state court.
These Singulair lawsuits claim that:
- Victims developed neuropsychiatric injuries as a result of taking Singulair
- Singulair crosses the blood-brain barrier and causes these mental health side effects
- The neuropsychiatric risks of the drug are greater for children than adults
- Drug manufacturer Merck knew, or should have known, of these risks before it began selling Singulair
- Singulair warnings before March 2020 were grossly insufficient in regard to neuropsychiatric events
How to File a Singulair Lawsuit
If you or your loved one took Singulair asthma medicine and experienced mental health side effects as a result, you may be able to pursue financial compensation through a Singulair lawsuit.
While every case is different, the lawsuit process usually involves your legal team:
- Determining your eligibility to file a Singulair (Montelukast) lawsuit
- Gathering evidence to support your claim
- Filing your Singulair lawsuit against the drug manufacturer
- Receiving compensation through a Singulair settlement or jury verdict
Learn more about your potential legal options by contacting us for a free case review today.
What to Look for in a Singulair Lawyer
Filing a Singulair lawsuit can be difficult without the right legal representation on your side, but choosing a lawyer for your Singulair claim can be difficult if you don’t know what to look for.
When it comes to finding a lawyer who has the resources to handle your case, be sure to look for a Singulair law firm that can offer you:
- A Free Case Review: Don’t keep wondering if you can take legal action over what happened to you. Get a free case review today to see if you have a case.
- Decades of Experience: Sokolove Law has been helping injured clients pursue compensation for over 40 years.
- National Reach: Sokolove Law is a national law firm with an office and licensed attorney in almost every state. We’ve helped clients nationwide get the results they deserve.
- A Proven Track Record of Success: We’ve recovered over $1.4 Billion on behalf of our clients injured by dangerous drugs and medical devices.
Get Skilled Help from a Singulair Law Firm
If you suffered from anxiety or depression or if your loved one committed suicide after taking Singulair asthma medicine, you may be eligible for compensation from a Singulair lawsuit — and we may be able to help.
Over the last 40 years, Sokolove Law has secured over $1.4 Billion from dangerous drug and medical device companies on behalf of our clients nationwide. Our Singulair lawyers have the resources and reach needed to build your case and fight for as much compensation as possible in your case.
Contact us today to learn more about the legal options that may be available to you.
Singulair (Montelukast) Lawsuit FAQs
Is Montelukast Singulair?
Singulair is the brand name for the prescription asthma and allergy medication montelukast.