The abuse of older adults is, sadly, quite common, especially in nursing homes. When this happens, victims of elder abuse may be able to pursue compensation and justice by hiring an elder abuse lawyer. If you suspect that your loved one has been physically or sexually abused, contact Sokolove Law for a free, no-obligation consultation. Over the past 40+ years, we’ve helped victims of elder abuse and their families recover $256 Million.
Why Contact an Elder Abuse Lawyer
If you believe that your loved one has been the victim of elder abuse in a care facility, you should contact an elder abuse attorney who may be able to help you hold the abuser accountable.
Reasons to file an elder abuse lawsuit:
- Accountability: By filing a lawsuit, you hold abusers accountable and show them that there are consequences for their actions.
- Compensation: A lawsuit may recover compensation to help cover medical bills and the cost of finding a new care facility for your loved one.
- Prevention: Through a lawsuit, you may be able to not only put a stop to abuse but to discourage future abuse from occurring at the same facility.
Many people assume they can’t afford an attorney, but Sokolove Law works on a contingency-fee basis, which means it costs nothing upfront to hire us. Our elder abuse lawyers get paid only if the case is successful — and that fee comes out of the recovery, not out-of-pocket fees.
How an Elder Abuse Attorney Can Help
Experienced elder abuse attorneys can handle the legal process from start to finish.
An attorney can help victims of elder abuse and their families by:
- Determining if they qualify for an elder abuse lawsuit
- Gathering all the necessary evidence (medical records, witness statements, etc.) to build and prove their case
- Filing the claim on time, within their state’s statute of limitations
- Negotiating with the defendant’s legal team to obtain a settlement
- Presenting the case at trial (if a settlement can’t be reached)
By handling these and other tasks, an elder abuse lawyer allows the client to focus on what’s important: taking care of their loved one and finding them the best, safest care possible.
If you or a loved one were physically or sexually abused in a nursing home or long-term care facility, you may be entitled to compensation through an elder abuse lawsuit.
What to Look for in an Elder Abuse Law Firm
Once you decide to file an elder abuse lawsuit, you should hire a law firm with the experience, resources, and qualifications to maximize your recovery.
What to look for in an elder abuse law firm:
- National Reach: Sokolove Law has offices in nearly every state, so no matter where you live, we may be able to help you recover compensation.
- Decades of Experience: At Sokolove Law, we’ve been successfully fighting for people injured by abuse, exploitation, and negligence for over 40 years.
- Millions in Recoveries: Through nursing home settlements and jury verdicts, our attorneys have recovered more than $256 Million for victims of elder abuse and their families.
Don’t trust just any law firm with something this important. Contact Sokolove Law today for a free, no-obligation case review.
Find an Elder Abuse Lawyer Near You
Sokolove Law is a national law firm with a licensed attorney in almost every state. That means we can file an elder abuse lawsuit nationwide.
If you suspect that a family member or loved one has been physically or sexually abused by a professional caregiver, you may be able to pursue compensation and justice on their behalf through an elder abuse lawsuit.
Elder Abuse Lawyer FAQs
How much does an elder abuse lawyer cost?
There are no upfront or out-of-pocket costs to hiring an elder abuse lawyer with Sokolove Law. We work on a contingency-fee basis, which means we only get paid if we successfully resolve your case via a settlement or jury award.
What does an elder abuse attorney handle?
An elder abuse attorney can determine if you qualify for an elder abuse lawsuit, collect the evidence you need to prove the abuse occurred, file all of the necessary paperwork on time, negotiate with the defendant’s lawyers, and (if necessary) present your case at trial, so you can focus on caring for your loved one.
Who hires an elder abuse attorney?
Typically a family member, spouse, or friend of the abused older adult will hire an elder abuse attorney to file a lawsuit on behalf of their loved one. If you suspect that your loved one has been physically or sexually abused, contact Sokolove Law today for a free case review.
Can a lawyer help prevent elder abuse?
Every case is unique, and there are no guarantees. However, an elder abuse lawsuit may be able to help prevent elder abuse by holding abusers accountable, bringing abuse and neglect to light, and obtaining jury awards and settlements that discourage future abuse at nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.
Will I be able to reach my elder abuse lawyer when I need to?
At Sokolove Law, our compassionate, attentive legal teams emphasize communication, clarity, and prompt responses to client questions. Our attorneys, case managers, legal assistants, and other staff keep clients informed of their progress every step of the way.
Get a free, no-obligation consultation to see if you may be able to work with our elder abuse lawyers.