Only a few law firms specialize in handling asbestos and mesothelioma lawsuits. A mesothelioma law firm focuses on supporting patients and their families through the legal process. Skilled asbestos attorneys work with their clients to help them receive compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other living expenses.
What to Know about Mesothelioma Law Firms & Attorneys
Mesothelioma law firms specialize in handling asbestos and mesothelioma cases. These firms work on behalf of those who were wrongly exposed to asbestos and were became ill as a result. Not all law firms are created equal, though. Some mesothelioma law firms have more experience than others. Larger firms may have a national reach while smaller ones state-specific or “local.”
The idea of hiring a “local” law firm may seem appealing at first. However, national mesothelioma law firms help clients get the most value out of their claim. Only a national mesothelioma law firm can help a client file a claim in any state in the U.S., which maximizes the value of their case.
Many of these firms have spent years – or even decades – handling mesothelioma and asbestos-related cases. As a result, they have the best resources, records, and access to information to make the most convincing case. They also have the experience needed to increase a potential claim’s value.
It is also important to know that a good mesothelioma law firm will work on a “contingency basis.” This means there are never any out of pocket expenses to your family. Sokolove Law is a national mesothelioma firm that works on a contingency basis. We are in this together. The only time we get paid is if you get paid.
Why Should You Hire a Mesothelioma Law Firm?
Hiring a law firm to represent your legal interests is a very important decision. You may be going through the pain of a recent diagnosis or the grief that comes with losing a loved one. During emotionally draining times like these, it is vital that you focus on the important things in life: the health and well-being of you and your family. But other concerns, like medical expenses, may cause additional worries.
To that end, mesothelioma patients and their families often turn to experienced law firms for help. A good mesothelioma law firm will want you and your family to focus on healing. Mesothelioma can leave families emotionally and financially devastated. The high treatment costs may only be partially covered by insurance. Before long, these costs can drain a family of their resources.
The main goal of a mesothelioma law firm is to help those who are suffering get through this difficult time. While you focus on your emotional and physical well-being, the law firm should take care of the legal matters to help ease your financial burden.
The compensation that may be awarded through a mesothelioma verdict or settlement can help pay for:
- Medical treatments and surgeries
- Travel expenses associated with treatment
- Living expenses
- Wages lost due to inability to work
- Physical therapy
- Counseling and support services
- Financial security for your family
- Funeral costs
If successful, mesothelioma lawsuits will help pay for your treatments and other medical costs. They will also bring justice to companies who wrongly exposed people to asbestos. These companies had the medical research and knowledge that proved asbestos was a very serious health risk. However, they continued to use asbestos anyway – a calculated move done only to make a profit.
Getting to Know You and Your Situation
Hiring a national law firm may seem scary or intimidating to some. Potential clients may think that big firms cannot provide the personalized attention they need.
In fact, the exact opposite is true in many cases. Experienced national mesothelioma law firms have helped thousands of families through the legal process. As a result, they are well-equipped to handle almost any case. Attorneys at these firms handle each case with great sensitivity to a client’s needs.
Good mesothelioma lawyers will see their clients as people, not dollar signs, and treat them accordingly. They will work with you on an individual basis and tailor the way they handle the case based on your needs.
With that in mind, here is what you should look for while trying to find the law firm that is right for you.
What to Look for in a Mesothelioma Law Firm
- Years of Experience: How many years of experience does the law firm have? Are they relatively new? With mesothelioma cases, it is vital to have an experienced law firm on your side.
- Types and Number of Cases Handled: What types of cases does the firm take? Only mesothelioma or other asbestos-related disease cases, too? How many mesothelioma cases have they handled in the past?
- Contingency Fee: A good mesothelioma law firm will work on what is known as a “contingency basis.” This means they will not ask for payments upfront, and will only collect a fee if and when the case is successful. Does your firm work for you at no up-front cost? If a firm charges you before agreeing to take your case, that is a warning sign.
- Nationwide: Does the law firm have a nationwide network of attorneys that will work for you, regardless of your location or situation? When choosing a mesothelioma law firm, you want one that can file a claim in any state. The ability to do this may increase the value of your case.
- Previous Outcomes of Cases: You need to understand the law firm’s track record and history of success. Do their cases settle out of court? Do they go to trial? And if they do, does the firm tend to win or lose? Were appeals filed?
- Travel: A good mesothelioma law firm will have its lawyers come to you regardless of your location. They should know that mesothelioma requires long periods of treatment, and that travel is often not an option for patients. During their visit, mesothelioma lawyers will get to know more about you, your life and work history, and the potential details of your case.
- Human Element: Does this firm have enough time for you? Will they have the time to take on your case and still give you the personalized attention that you deserve? When choosing a law firm, you want one that genuinely wants to help its clients — not just make money.
- Comfort Level: When discussing your case, reflect on your comfort level. Does the lawyer understand you? Are they respectful of you and your family? The best law firms will have legal teams that make their clients comfortable and confident in the aid they are receiving.
How Sokolove Law Measures Up
The legal team at Sokolove Law believes in your rights. Now more than ever, we believe justice needs to be served against reckless corporate behavior. Sokolove Law was founded to provide everyone, regardless of ethnicity or income, equal access to the justice system — not just the wealthy or well-connected.
For far too long, big companies have been allowed to get away with putting profits ahead of people. Not anymore.
When you enlist Sokolove Law to fight for you, you gain a partner with:
- More than 40 years of experience in asbestos and mesothelioma litigation
- A track record of helping more than 6,000 mesothelioma patients and their families
- A nationwide network of attorneys that can file your claim in any state
- Warehouses’ worth of documents that have helped us win cases
- The latest tools, knowledge, and medical and legal information about mesothelioma and related diseases
- Access to medical experts who work with mesothelioma patients
- Caring, thoughtful people who put your needs before their own, and work with you at your comfort level
Above all, by choosing Sokolove Law, you are putting to work a law firm that cares about the people it serves. Sokolove Law has helped recover over $4.3 Billion in compensation for its mesothelioma clients. We take pride in our practice because we believe in the mission of helping people through extremely difficult times.